Pleco's :D

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Purplegibbon

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Looking for a Pleco that doesn't get as big as a common but pretty big and eats A LOT of algae I have high lighting and dirt with plants so any plant structure grows well like algae anyways yeah And I don't want to spend more than $15 for this fish i am currently searching for :D any suggestions are welcome thank you!

Rubbernose as well. Very similar as far as I know. When I bought one (from what I can remember)they told me they grow slowly, up to about 6".

Probably not. All herbivorous fish, provided their jaws are big enough, will take a nip at softer plants like riccia and the like. But I wouldn't be worried.

+1 on bristlenoses and rubberlip. I have both and love them. The common bristlenoses get bigger than the albinos (these only get to 3-4'')

Or, if you looking for algae eating fish but not necessarily a pleco you could look at Siamese algae eaters (SAE) just make sure you get the true SAE (Crossocheilus siamensis), my local petco has them mislabeled as flying foxes. SAEs are peaceful and are the only fish that will BBA.

what kind of algae do you have? i would suggest nerites. plecos are great but are high bio load fish.

I have normal algae that grows on the glass (nothing like hair algae) lol and I have mystery or apple snails which ever you prefer to call them... I'm not sure either way they don't do much...

I'd go with bristlenose, but I'm interested in the rubberlip. Are they smaller or larger then the bristlenoses?

Go with a blue or green phantom! They are beautiful and grow from 4-7" max! I own 2 1" green phantoms and a 3" blue phantom! They do great on algae.

You should get a few Chinese algae eaters there small but eat a lot of algae mine keeps my tank spotless and they are easy to keep they don't eat plants either

Back
Top Bottom