plecos go with what fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scauntay

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i have a good 7-8" pleco and it had turned on my goldies after a 2 years of peace. what fish can be put with a pleco and have me not worry about any fighting or eating eachother?

thanks

I wouldn't keep a pleco in a tank with goldies, the goldies slime coat is just too tempting for them.

What size is your tank and would you consider going tropical?

You can pretty much put a pleco with most tropicals. I'm assuming that you have a Common Pleco (Aka Trinidad Pleco). They grow quite large. What size tank will he go in?

my current tank is 30G and i would go tropical if needed. my tank right now is about 76-78 degrees. my goldies have been fine with it like that since i got them.

PauloSilva said:
why do u like goldies anyway... go with cichlids in the new tank

Awwwwww.... Is this comment a little negative about Goldfish? :cry: <sniff> Goldfish are so misunderstood. Because they are cheap and considered a children's fish they don't get the respect they deserve. :roll: And unfortunately they don't mix well with plecos, but goldfish themselves are very entertaining. They are very aware of the pale human on the other side of the glass and they can be taught simple tricks.

I agree that mbuna cichlids would be good with a pleco, but goldfish are cool fish in their own right. :wink:

My 2 cents. :?

PauloSilva said:
why do u like goldies anyway... go with cichlids in the new tank
Let's not knock goldies here........

I'm really not into them myself, but others are, and can be very relaxing to watch and feed. As for the temp. that is a little high for goldies. They will handle it, IMO, but it's not their preferred temps. Something that would go good with goldies, and also like colder water, as well as does fine in warmer, are dojo loaches. I have one in my 55G, and he's doing awsome, and I keep my temp around 78. There's the regular dojos as well as the golden dojos.

Most widely available tropical fish go well with plecos. Large common plecos don't really seem to like other plecos though. They are also known to suck on discus' slime coats so I'd rule them out as well.

Back
Top Bottom