Plecos or Otos for algae control???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mofo2713

Aquarium Advice Freak
Just wondering which I should go for. I have a few CAE but they like to stay on the bottom and rarely eat the algae on the sides of the tank. Which is better for algae control on tank walls? Also, if plecos are better, I would like some info on specific kinds of plecos that LOVE to eat algae and don't get more than 5-6" as I have heard some plecos don't eat algae off tank walls.

I havent ever kept otto's so i would say a bristlenose catfish or bushynose plec same fish diff names lol they dnt grow any more than 5-6" i think 4-5" is closer to theyre actual full grown size. I havent got any algae in my tank! And i'll often see her on the walls, she was a 1" from the surface the other day :)

Your 20g tank is already pushing the limits of stocking. I would not add a Pleco to that tank as they do produce a lot of waste. Try a couple Otos, they are small, fun to watch, and typically stick to the glass and plants.

planning on trading in a 2 of my CAE and getting 2-3 otos instead. Do they do a better job cleaning the glass than the CAE?

I have 2 CAE. O bought them at 1/2" and now both are above 3". I have never had a prollem w/algea in my tanks since ive had these guys

I have two otos and 0 algae. I had a pleco and he did a great job, but it was a common and would have gotten too big, I gave him away. He mad A LOT of poo! The otos make a fair amount of waste, but it seems easier to clean to me. I LOVE my otos, they are so cute and fun to watch. I actually have to supplement their diet so they don't starve.

Meredith, what do you supplement their diet with? They must be on the glass constantly if you have no algae huh? Would 2 otos and a CAE be a good contrast?

i have a pleco...about 5 inches...and he cant do anything for my 80 gallon tank... anyone have suggestions? i think im about to go to plants just to keep the alge down...

i have a good amount of light... 2x 18,000k bulbs... 1 watt per gallon... and i leave my lights on a good 12 hours... i fear im going to have problems....

anyone have suggestions? my pleco hasnt even scratched the surface of my alge problems

i have a pleco...about 5 inches...and he cant do anything for my 80 gallon tank... anyone have suggestions? i think im about to go to plants just to keep the alge down...

Many types of Plecos STOP eating algae as they get larger. You probably have one such Pleco.

i have a good amount of light... 2x 18,000k bulbs... 1 watt per gallon... and i leave my lights on a good 12 hours... i fear im going to have problems....

I have 65 w of light on my 26g tank, 2.7 watts per gallon. I have to leave the light on for 12+ hours a day to get any noticable algae in the tank. Heck, I actually skipped a couple of weekly water changes trying to get more algae in the tank 8O The Oto and tiny Clown Pleco eat any algae that appears in the tank during the day. If the Bushynose Pleco gets hungry, he goes hunting for algae at night. With the right fish, algae will not be an issue for most tanks.

My otos hang out on the glass pretty much all the time. Except towards evening then they are flying all around the tank. I give some veggies, cucumber, broccoli (which they have yet to eat), they LOVE peas, and algae wafers. They seem to be doing ok.

You give them grocery store bought frozen peas whole and they munch away at it or what?

Back
Top Bottom