Plecostomus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrMalta

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just bought one for my 38 gallon. I was told they don't eat plants but do a fantastic job with algae. Then I read later today that they do eat plants?

What's the truth?

Not all plecos eat algae. Another type of fish may have been better suited for the tank. What kind of pleco is it?

If you bought a common pleco, it will get much too large for your aquairum.

Depends on the type of pleco. Some eat plants, some eat meat some eat both. Size in the end is also a big factor. A common pleco which is sold pretty cheap in almost all fish stores are pleco's that get up to 24" long. Yep that big. Some plecos are smaller and better suited for smaller tanks.

I bought a common pleco a year ago that was not even 2" and have him in a 55gl tank, He is now pushing over 8" and on a massive growth spurt. It doesnt take long for them to outgrow your tank.

I'm not sure what kinda pleco it is. I think it's a common pleco, perhaps a sailfin 'cause it does have that fin. It's kinda like a desert camo colour.

I know they grow big, but I have a 70 gallon waiting to be picked up when I have the time (for free!) so the size shouldn't matter to much.

Hope this helps!

I agree that clown plecos are great. My little Percy is just adorable. He also loves munching on the driftwood, so as far as the eating plants vs. algae goes wood is also sometimes a food source depending on the species.

I happen to have a sailfin in a 75g along with several bristlenoses. If it is a sailfin, eating the plants will not be your concern...having him squash them is more fitting as they tend to believe that plants are pillows. As he grows, his movements will create small eddy's (maybe whirlpools...tidal waves) which will uproot plants with fine root masses. If you stick with hardy broadleaf plants that will not be an issue.

I just recently bought a Plecostomus and he's got big long lines of poop. I've never seen that much come out of one fish. Hopefully that does not spike the ammonia up really high. I guess I don't need to worry about it as long as I'm doing weekly water changes, right?

I just recently bought a Plecostomus and he's got big long lines of poop. I've never seen that much come out of one fish. Hopefully that does not spike the ammonia up really high. I guess I don't need to worry about it as long as I'm doing weekly water changes, right?

Do you have live plants? You'll definitely want to vacuum the gravel when you do pwc's. If you're worried about an ammonia spike, then test for ammonia.

No I don't have any live plants, just plastic ones. I just plan to do weekly water changes. I didn't want to do any more than that. I was just curious what other people's experience was with this type of fish and if the extra poop spikes the ammonia up higher. I am hoping since I plan on doing weekly water changes that I wont need to worry about it. And yes.. every water change I vacuum the gravel. Thanks.

It really depends on what kind you have. Most lfs sell common plecs which can get over 20 inches. Supplement it's diet with zuccini, tomatos, squash, etc. Also, adding driftwood to any plec tank is probably a good idea. Even if yours isn't the kind to like eating driftwood, all plecs like to sit on driftwood, or under it. Check out www.planetcatfish.com for profiles of plecs to see which yours looks like.

"Supplement it's diet with zuccini, tomatos, squash, etc." Are you kidding me!?!! haha. I had no idea. How much vegetables would you add? Like a slice of tomato you would put on your sandwich? I've never added anything to my fish tank other than the flake food, and I drop one tablet of bottm feeders dried food for him. But I'm not certain if he's eating that or if it just turns into soggy "captiain crunch" and then disapate into the gravel. If you know what I mean.

Greens are good for fish to ward off constipation. You could blanch a peeled pea. Most fish like peas.

Back
Top Bottom