Plecostomus has bloated stomach

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Plecostomus129

Aquarium Advice Regular
I came home today and walked into my room on my Common Plecostomus, Google's Birthday, to find that he was floating belly up on the top of the water line. Luckily, he was fine, but I realized that he had a bloated stomach. I have noticed that he has also been eating algae off of the glass a lot more lately, and I realized that he had a bloated stomach when he appeared to be sliding up the glass when eating. He also has always loved to hide under a bridge in his tank, and I noticed that he seems to "float" under it, kept down by only the bridge. He is acting normal, (except for the fact that he seems to be more buoyant), but I am still worried about him. The Nitrate, nitrite, and hardness are normal, and the pH and alkalinity is high, as always. I feed him a Wardley brand algae wafer weekly, and he is always fine with that. He is in a 5 gallon tank, (I know that it is way too small, I am upgrading to 30-50 gallon soon), and I really hope that this is OK. PLEASE HELP!!!
Thank you very much!

Wardley makes extremely low quality foods so I suggest finding a much more healthy and natural brand like New Life Spectrum or Omega One. Both are amazing foods with very very natural ingredients but I do not know however if one of them makes algae wafers. A 30 or even a 50 gallon tank is still way too small for a common pleco as they grow to be over a foot.

If you don't mind me asking, is this 5 gallon tank cycled? I have a hard time thinking you won't have ammonia in a 5 gallon with a common pleco in it. No way it could handle all the waste they produce.

If you don't mind me asking, is this 5 gallon tank cycled? I have a hard time thinking you won't have ammonia in a 5 gallon with a common pleco in it. No way it could handle all the waste they produce.

Agreed; and if it could be cycled the nitrAte levels would be astronomical.

As said even your upgrading plan is too small for a common pleco. Also they driftwood to chew on as a part of their diet for them to be healthy

Well, I cannot go over 50 gallon, so what do you recommend? I know people that have plecos in 30 gallons that have been fine for years, and I am getting a 50, so it should be ok, right?

Ok, thanks for the advice, but I still need to the answer to the original post. Do you think that his bloated stomach is caused by something easy to fix?

Try feeding him some fresh veg , I feed mine cucumber or cooked broccoli stem once or twice a week as well as wafers every day, as for the driftwood mine doesn't bother with it ! Never has ! The corys now hide under it for a siesta ;) ... Hope he's ok :)

You could try to see if the pleco will eat some peas. Just get some frozen peas, put them in the microwave for 30-40 seconds. Peel the skins off and plop them in the tank. I try to do it with all my fish once a week. They all love it and it helps them poop.

Ok, I just fed him a cucumber slice. I will try the driftwood later, as I have been meaning to get some. Does anybody know of a good place to get freshwater driftwood? Thanks, as it would really help.
Thank You!
-Plecostomus129

Hi Fish Friends,

I also wanted to mention that it could be a lung bladder disease (if I got the name correct). I normally only concentrate on problems that I am dealing with at the time but I did notice some mention of a bladder problem causing floatation problems.

kitty2234

You could try to see if the pleco will eat some peas. Just get some frozen peas, put them in the microwave for 30-40 seconds. Peel the skins off and plop them in the tank. I try to do it with all my fish once a week. They all love it and it helps them poop.
Will peas sink to the bottom of the tank?

How long do you think it will take for the peas to take effect in curing his bloating? And also, should I feed him peas daily, or just wait until the bloating is down?

Back
Top Bottom