Plecostomus question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lyquidphyre

Aquarium Advice Addict
I recieved a REALLY large plecostomus. I want to say its a spotted sail fin plecostomus. He is about 6in? in length (including tail) is a 29 gal too small for him?

It will suffice for now if he's alone but he does/will require a larger tank as he will grow a whole lot bigger.

I don't think a pleco counts as REALLY large 'til he hits at least 18" LOL! Unless it is a bushynose, they actually max out at about 6" or so I believe.

He will need a bigger space eventually. Start now making friends with folks with big tanks, so you can hit them up to adopt later. :D

haha good idea. I have a 40 gal but Id rather him be in the 29 gal in my room so I can watch him because he is really pretty.

I guess he is large to me because at pet stores they are only like 2in hehe

one of my LFS have 3 fully grown Pl*cos, in a 20gal tank.

These behemoths are over 2 foot long, not only that.. but their in there with a two foot long Clown Knife. :-\

6" yeah thats fine as long as you dont add too many fish in that tank
just give him space to swim and relax during the day

William said:
one of my LFS have 3 fully grown Pl*cos, in a 20gal tank.

These behemoths are over 2 foot long, not only that.. but their in there with a two foot long Clown Knife. :-\

Thats no bueno!

He is very active and gets along with my other fish. He seems happy, I just wanted to make sure things were okay with the tank size

i have a 13" pleco in a 29g right now, hence i'm trying to get my 60gal built as soon as possible, but this incredibly cold weather (wind chills of 0) is not helping at all. the new tank is going to be 55" long, so i think he might grow a little bit after i gett him moved...he's still got a good 4-6 years in him i think (i hope)

How many algae waffers do you feed yours? I don't want him to starve or anything.

I wonder how big mine will get.. he is so pretty. I might put some pictures in my gallery

To find out how big he's going to get, you'll need to find out exactly what kind he is. Some get to be 6 inches, other a foot, others 2 feet long! I have a liposarcus pardalis, which is often sold as a common plec. Very similar to the common p 2 feet long. He's about 8 inches now and in my 55g. Once he hits a foot long, I have to start looking for a new home for him; a 55g is too small for a foot long fish [acronym="In My Honest Opinion"]IMHO.

If you can throw a pic on here that will help. A detailed description, including number of fin rays, type of markings, protrusions, etc will also help to ID it. The folks over at www.planetcatfish.com are the catfish gurus; they can also likely help figure out what you have :)

Like i said, im pretty sure he is a spotted sail fin pleco. I uploaded pictures in my gallery- im not sure if they are approved or not.

If its a Glyptoperichthys gibbiceps, which is the scientific name for a sail fin pleco, it should reach 18 inches as an adult :) Go check the cat-e-log at planetcatfish to double check n make sure its your guy (your pics aren't up yet).

Back
Top Bottom