Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-15-2005, 06:32 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via MSN to tailbarlionfish
plecs - advise please...!!!

hey there,
I was wondering about plecs. I think they're really cool but most of them are at least £20. The only cheap ones are the common plec which grows rather large...

Any ideas for smaller ones?

2angelfish,3dwarf cichlids(1gold ram,1bolivian ram and 1ram),3corys,3clownloaches and 1zebra loach.
A tank with 3 fighters;1 male, 2 females
Please can you all at least take a look at my post in the unhealthy fish forum. Its called 'whats wrong with my tank'. I really wold like some replies because my fish are dying one by one and i dont want to lose all of them!
tailbarlionfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 06:40 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to azn_fishy55
Bushnose plecs I think grow too a small size. Bulldog plecs too but they need cooler water that most tropical fish. If you are looking for algae control, get some otocinculus catfish. They stay small and constantly eat algae but need to be put in groups of 6 or more to be happy.

Old 08-15-2005, 07:14 AM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
Otos are hard to find healthy because they usually go through a strenuous shipping time (to the US anyways, might not be such an issue in the UK) to get to the lfs. Keeping them well fed is sometimes an issue as well. They need a lot of food.

Go for a bristlenose pleco. They are unique, and max out at around 4 inches in size.

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 11:04 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Bristlenoses and rubberlipped plecos both stay small 4-5" and are normally under 10 USD. Another reasonably priced small pleco is the pitbull pleco. It only maxes out at around 2".
Old 08-15-2005, 11:50 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

yeah i want a bristlenose but my lfs never has any. I've had a bulldog plec and an oto. They died the night i got them(unhealthy) but i got my money back.

I guess ill keep looking in pet stores a bristlenose. Thres a new shop opening very near me
2angelfish,3dwarf cichlids(1gold ram,1bolivian ram and 1ram),3corys,3clownloaches and 1zebra loach.
Please can you all at least take a look at my post in the unhealthy fish forum. Its called 'whats wrong with my tank'. I really wold like some replies because my fish are dying one by one and i dont want to lose all of them!
Old 08-15-2005, 01:09 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to greenmaji
Ive never heard about the bulldog pleco. being a sensitive fish? the oto yes..
Old 08-15-2005, 02:42 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to mr86mister
off topic but, who is in your avatar tailbarlionfish?
Old 08-16-2005, 11:43 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

lol, the darkness a rock band

thanks for the replies evry1!!!
mr86mister - what colour are your bettas? i have a male and 2 females. The male is a deep red with a few pink strands :P and the females are navy blue with metallicy lighter blues on their fins.
Old 08-16-2005, 12:04 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via ICQ to SerLunchbox Send a message via AIM to SerLunchbox Send a message via MSN to SerLunchbox Send a message via Yahoo to SerLunchbox
it really depends on what prupose you want the plecos to have. There are LOTS of smaller plecos ... the downside is that they cose you an arm and a leg to get. For example, Queen Arabesque or Flash plecos. They stay smaller but cost a fortune to get because of their rarity.

Tankless ... for now ... until i find what i really want (and what the wife lets me get!)
SerLunchbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 04:05 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

speaking of them ... I found a Queen Arabesque for under $20 at www.thatfishplace.com (of course, I did have a 20% off coupon)

So far, I've had no issues at all with it.

It really depends on your purpose. If you want a nice looking one, most of them don't really help a bunch in keeping your tank clean.

I didn't buy my queen to clean as I already have a rubberlipped pleco, otos, rosy barbs, and hillstreams loaches to do some of that.
Old 08-17-2005, 04:11 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I got a clown pleco for $10 from a LFS (actually, $8.99 I believe). He's not an algae eater like a bristlenose, but I catch him on the glass all the time and he's left streaks (looks like a slime trail of a snail, only made from eaten algae) in the algae on my back glass so I know he's eating some of it. I've had him for almost 2 months and he's only 3" long from the 2" that I bought him at. I believe they max at 4-6"

Rena Filstar XP2
Pressurized CO2 w/SMS122

29 Gallon Goldfish
4" Red/White Ryunkin
4" Orange Fantail
Penguin 100
AquaClear 20
FMJnaX is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com