Plecs with amphibians?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

phoebekatee

Aquarium Advice Activist
Haii,
If I am getting 3 common plecs can I also get snails or will they compete too much? What else can I get e.g. snails and shrimp? And any fish recommendations? Thank you :)

Oh it's 30g and been cycling for 6 days, but going extremely fast. I know not to take this as a sign or get my hopes up but I do need to start deciding what I am putting in so I can phone my LPS in advance to check :)

Your plecos are going to outgrow that tank very quickly. They may reach 12 inches each. The tank is not suitable for them.

Are you cycling with the plecos? If not, what method of cycling are you using....

Along with Lyndas suggestions, I'd look in to stocking a smaller species of pleco, you could do 3 or 4 bristlenose plecos in a 30g. What amphibians were you planning on stocking? Plecos are usually a nonissue with stocking, aggression-wise, but you have to make sure that they don't get too large for the tank.

Unless your tank is a couple hundred gallons I wouldn't even get one common pleco...definitely not three. They are going to grow quickly and reach a max size of about 18-24".

Did you mean inverts with plecos? Such as snails? It depends on the size tank and the pleco. Some plecos need more algae than others, and the amount of algae which will be produced depends on the tank size. Please provide more info.

Sorry if I said common. I mean probably a bristlenose or other small plec species. And I am fishless cycling but I believe the cycle is going to end soon so I need to prepare. And any inverts you recommend, and would also appreciate any other recommendations e.g schools

Your cycle will probably take a good couple of weeks anyway.

Glad you weren't planning on common pleco and even more glad that you are planning ahead! That's what makes a good fishkeeper! (y)

Aw thanks guys :) trying my best!
Don't suppose you could name a few types of vibrant schools since my tank is a bit brown and boring? Just something pretty with personality xxx

I love my school of white cloud mountain minnows..... eventually, when the tank is established you could add a school of rummynose tetras to it. These two species will school together and it looks really beautiful.

phoebekatee said:
Aw thanks guys :) trying my best!
Don't suppose you could name a few types of vibrant schools since my tank is a bit brown and boring? Just something pretty with personality xxx

Nice job so far!! Cardinal tetras! Maybe 10 neons, or glolight tetras!

Back
Top Bottom