plexy in a paludarium???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DARK Jak

Aquarium Advice Freak
i need to know if plexy glass would be a good substitute for glass in a paludarium. the water side will be about 20gal would plexy be able to hold that much wieght if so how thick?

Plexi is weak. 1/4" failed as a lid to my hex tank, ~9 3/4" x 6 1/4" if it was a rectangle. If you want to use a divider, use what sumpers use: glass or acrylic. Their experiences with baffles in the archives should be helpfull for your application.

Hmm . . . I don't have any real data except personal experience. I have a 120 or so bowfront that we divided in half with plexiglass for our garter snakes. It has been that way for maybe 6 years now with no apparent problems & no leaks from the water side. We used silicon. We have moved twice during that time. I can send a pic if that would help or just measure the thickness & span of the thing. I think the pressure of the water on one side & dirt on the other sort of equalizes.

I will measure it tommorow. My SO has the camera at work but will hopefuly bring it tommorow so I can post a pic along with dimensions.

OK - the plexiglass is 3/8 in. thick & its aproximately 9 in. by 18 in. We installed it with a considerable amount of silicon sealer. Since you don't really need to see through it & will probably scratch it anyway setting up the rocks in the water side you might be able to get it cheaper if you look for a scratched piece in the store and then ask for a discount because of that.

My estimate on size is a bit conservative because ours is installed at a bit of an angle. It makes it easier to camoflauge.

Sorry it took a bit. My SO decided that we are having a big party tommorow & I have been cleaning outside & in all week.

I will try to get a pic next week & will post it in this thread so you can see what I am talking about.

HTH

Back
Top Bottom