plug strips for aquariums

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

James_in_MN

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I found a discounted surge protector by CyberPower that allows for multiple transformers (my light timer will fit into one of those spots nicely), so I bought two to replace the super cheapo Wal-Mart plug strips that have plugs blocked because of transformers. Then, as I read the fine print on one of the surge protectors, I noticed that it said it won't cover use with aquariums.

I don't suppose I should take it back and look for one that's aquarium-specific, should I? I imagine that almost all surge protectors will have that annoying fine print on them.

As long as it's plugged in to a GFCI outlet, it'll be fine. that's most likely why they put that on there, since surge protectors are NOT GFCI's.

Well, my apartment only has GFCI outlets in the kitchen and bathroom, not the bedrooms or living/dining rooms. Which means that none of my aquariums are plugged into GFCI outlets. :ermm:

mfdrookie516 said:
That's easy. I just made some plug ins out of GFCI outlets, plastic boxes, a short piece of wire, and an extension cord plug.

That sounds like its up to code, hehe

It's more in line with code than not having it plugged in to a gfci at all. Who cares if it's a little redneck, it works. I also don't regularly have code inspectors over to check out my DIY projects either.

Back
Top Bottom