Plz help identify fish... barb?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kane65

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just inherited a couple fish tanks and am in the process of identifying the fish.
The first one is supposed to be a barb but I can't find anything that looks like it. Here's the description: There are 5 of them, they definitely school. They are orange in color with a black tipped (2/3) dorsal fin. They have a black dot behind their gills as well. Their bodies are short (not elongated). The anal fin is also tipped with black but only a little. I guess that's it. The rest is orange in color although most of the body is clear enough to see internal anatomy.

Thanks

Kane, that's a tough one (for me anyway). If you could post a pic, that would be helpful.
Take a look at the barbs on www.liveaquaria.com and see if they look the same. Could be a tetra--sounds sort of like a serpea tetra, except I can't see through mine :?
and...
[center:325068f053] :smilecolros: Welcome to AA, Kane!! :n00b: [/center:325068f053]

The body shape of ticto isn't right unfortunately. They have the shape of a tiger barb with different markings. I checked the site you recommended and couldn't find it. I'll post a picture when I can find the camera.

These tanks are a mess and I'm having to do 50% water changes. On the plus side, while cleaning out this tank I found that I have 6 baby red phantoms... :)

Red phantoms are on the link in my previous post but you are correct. They are serpae! Thanks. The phantom looks very close but the body shape wasn't right. The shape & markings of the serpae are on the mark, thanks!

I was going to suggest the serpae as well...I have red phantoms..they look close but are a smaller fish..certainly too small to be mistaken for barbs! :)
The "baby" fish may be adult phantoms tho...

Back
Top Bottom