Plz ID these snails!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

College Kid

Aquarium Advice Activist
I these are in my friends tank. We don't know what they are. She pulls out 25 a week and they are reproducing like mad. Here's some pics. We don't know what they are, so I turn to you all for help. Biggest guy is like 1 cm long. Please ID these snails!!!!!

Attachments

• image-1013875669.jpg
    image-1013875669.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 92
  • image-596707851.jpg
    image-596707851.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 94
I call those annoying little snails. I have some that came on some plants I bought.

I got the same ones in my 5 gallon. Not much of a bother since my fry likes to munch on the littleones ;)

They are pond snails otherwise known as pest snails. They will only overpopulate an overfed tank.

Pond snails. Can easily overpopulate a tank. Some will eat plants.

Thanks guys. Ill let her know. Is there anyway to get rid of them indefinitely, or at least manage their population? I told her to try lettuce traps, but those don't seem to work.

Thanks guys. Ill let her know. Is there anyway to get rid of them indefinitely, or at least manage their population? I told her to try lettuce traps, but those don't seem to work.

Yup, the lettuce trap didn't work with my hordes of baby apple snails, either. Besides taking them out one-by-one, could anyone shed some light on this problem?? :confused:

They are Pond Snails aka Bladder Snails. Mine don't hurt my plants. They will eat dead plant material. You could add some Assassin Snails, unless you have pet snails in there ?

The reason they are overpopulating is because theres a food source for them somewhere. I would say cut back on the feeding, and your friend could try some assassin snails:)

They will eat algae wafers, but definitely prefer live food. They will also consume eggs of any kind if they can reach them.

What size tank is this? You don't want to get too many assassins.

Back
Top Bottom