poecilia reticulata or poecilia wingei

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Smoked

Aquarium Advice Activist
Well the title says it all. Poecilia Wingie as we all know is the endlers livebearer. And Poecilia Reticulata is a guppy. A long time ago both fish looked very similar. But the guppy was selectively breed and now we have the modern fancy guppy. Now I've done some research on both and pure strain endlers are more sought after because they are still in the wild form. Only some genetic manipulation has been done to keep current colors. People want them because they want to see what they can produce. Same reason i am ordering some myself. On the other hand the wild guppy is almost unheard of. Not because its gone but because of a lot of stains have been produced already why you would want a wild one. But I think why not, maybe there was a pattern or color that was forgotten or missed and maybe could be brought back out. After researching i have found colors that are not in modern fancy guppies. But wild guppies not feeder guppies even that some say they are the same are harder to find then pure endlers. And hybrids are a whole other can of worms. But that's for a different topic. Anyway just wondering what other people thought on the topic.

Well the title says it all. Poecilia Wingie as we all know is the endlers livebearer. And Poecilia Reticulata is a guppy. A long time ago both fish looked very similar. But the guppy was selectively breed and now we have the modern fancy guppy. Now I've done some research on both and pure strain endlers are more sought after because they are still in the wild form. Only some genetic manipulation has been done to keep current colors. People want them because they want to see what they can produce. Same reason i am ordering some myself. On the other hand the wild guppy is almost unheard of. Not because its gone but because of a lot of stains have been produced already why you would want a wild one. But I think why not, maybe there was a pattern or color that was forgotten or missed and maybe could be brought back out. After researching i have found colors that are not in modern fancy guppies. But wild guppies not feeder guppies even that some say they are the same are harder to find then pure endlers. And hybrids are a whole other can of worms. But that's for a different topic. Anyway just wondering what other people thought on the topic.

I tried breeding them but wasnt very good at it lol Although the few that survived looked pretty cool. I never tried wild types. As far as I know I have never seen wild type guppies or endlers. All of them are selectively bred. However I will tell you that hybrids between guppies and endlers are very cool IMHO

Well Adrian of swamp river aquatics has both of them on his website. Some of them look the same way as the day there where pulled out of the river. The fancy guppy didn't start the way it is now it started out like the endler and man made it what it is today. So why couldn't endlers be breed long enuf to look like fancy guppies too maybe call them fancy endlers

OK, I have bred each extensively and long-term. Fancy guppys are sensitive and proned to inbreeding problems. If you're a good line / selective breeder that is not a problem. It does require a lot of tanks.
Endlers are very different from guppys in several respects. Behaviorally they are very different. Genetically, just mix a line or two and lord knows what will come out. I have developed a solid red with double red lyertail. Funny thing I was not trying!! I started with pure N Class, nothing fancy Endlers. I have a 260 gal pool full of these guys and will be getting rid of them in October. I suppose you could call them fancy Endlers.

Adrian at Swamp River is the expert and his stuff is good. My only bone of contention is the hybreds. I don't do hybreds and when the general public gets their hands on them the problem explodes. If you must breed hybreds enjoy them for a while, replace your breeders from your own stock and buy a cichlid to take care of the fry and adults you don't want.

Another thing I just realize is that you can't find the so called feeder guppy in stores anymore. Well not at least in WA. I was looking because I was curious and wanted to see if they held true to the wild guppy title. But none pet smart, pet co none of them and there are no local fish stores around for 30 plus miles so driving to look is out of the question. And real wild guppies are hard to find. Other than Adrian I have no idea where you could get them. Anyway back on topic. Yes the hybrid thing is a touchy subject. Even though I have seen some amazing color and pattern come out of this the way I look at is if it don't happen in nature then let it be. Not sure why everyone is so set on this. No mater how much breeding you do back into the same species it will never be a full/pure endler or guppy. Deep down in its genes it will still hold that hybridization forever.

Back
Top Bottom