POLL: Guppies: Feeding Fry as Food or Buy All Same Sex

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

You have or want guppies but have no extra room for grown fry, do you:

• Buy all male guppies

Votes: 8 33.3%
  • Buy all female guppies

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • Buy a mix and plan on the fry being eaten

Votes: 12 50.0%
  • Other (post responses below)

Votes: 3 12.5%

• Total voters
I've always kept all male groups of guppies and haven't missed the girls at all. When kept in all male groups you still see the same interactions you would see if you kept them mixed because the males are so single minded that they even do their breeding chases with other fish in the tank despite the fact there's no chance of fry ;) Even if kept in an all male guppy tank with no other fish, they'll tend to pick a few males of the group, declare them girls, and chase them much to the target's annoyance (usually the largest males get picked for this). Typically no harm is done as long as you have a decent sized group to diffuse their attentions, and you get a much more colorful display than you would have if you had mixed sexes. Plus no matter how many fry-eaters you have in the tank, you will always have fry survive unless you go for minimal decor and no live plants for them to hide in.

Ah ok my problem was to small of a group.
My fry never survive in my tanks. Dont know why everybody else can! I wanted mine to!

I never worried about the issue. I just got the ones I wanted or my son wanted. I think there might have been a few times I seen a pregnant one but never noticed fry in my tank. I always figured if it happens my filter will take care of a lot of it and so will the other fish I had. If a few survived that's cool but if not no big deal to me.

I went with females/males. 2 males, 3 females. They seem to be getting along really well. In fact, the 1 male chases pretty much only the other male. The 3 females are pregnant, we'll see!

Back
Top Bottom