Poll - how many weeks do you QT?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Assuming no signs of disease, how long do you QT for?

• 2 weeks

Votes: 3 60.0%
  • 3 weeks

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4 weeks

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • More than 4 weeks

Votes: 1 20.0%

• Total voters

sallyjano

Aquarium Advice FINatic
For new fish I see people saying 2 weeks, some saying 4, some more! I was curious to see what most do.

So.....assuming there are no visible signs of disease in your new fish how long do you QT?

2 weeks
3 weeks
4 weeks
More than 4 weeks

I don't do it and regret it often as I stock often (I have a lot of tanks)... I heard a month would be fine for saltwater so guess it's the same for freshwater :)

IMO I don't QT as I believe it adds more stress to a already stressed fish.

I saw an article once with someone saying that. I don't know why stressful though? I have a cycled tank with great water quality and plenty hiding spots with only 3 fish. Why would that be stressful?

More than four weeks.

Camallanus worm doesn't show right away. It can actually take weeks before you'd see if your new fish are infected and it's a real pain to get rid of. None of the usual meds work, you have to buy horse or dog dewormer to kill it off. Which can also kill off your entire stock. Much easier to lose one or two fish in QT than a whole tank full. been there, done that, have the QT tanks to prove it.

Depends on the source of the fish for me. From 0 - 45 days.

Take a fish from it's home, ship it to a wholesaler, bag it again, ship it to the retailer, bag it again, put it into a probably too small tank just to move it again once it gets settled. IMO the quicker it gets into a stable environment the better. This advice I got from a highly respected LFS owner. It also helps to have a good eye for picking out a healthy specimen. I often pass on buying a fish if the store is poorly kept, other fish in the store are not in good health or the fish in question is not eating. I do keep a 30 gallon refugium that can be a QT or hospital tank if need.

Take a fish from it's home, ship it to a wholesaler, bag it again, ship it to the retailer, bag it again, put it into a probably too small tank just to move it again once it gets settled. IMO the quicker it gets into a stable environment the better. This advice I got from a highly respected LFS owner. It also helps to have a good eye for picking out a healthy specimen. I often pass on buying a fish if the store is poorly kept, other fish in the store are not in good health or the fish in question is not eating. I do keep a 30 gallon refugium that can be a QT or hospital tank if need.

Not all fish come from shops and wholesalers. To not QT is to put your existing stock at risk. Whether you want to make that choice in favor of reducing stress on the new livestock or not, it is the end choice being made.

This is a very timely discussion for me as I just finished my first fresh water cycle after working with salt water for over 30 years. I plan on purchasing my first school of small, easly to keep fish, in the next few days, so QT not an issue till the second group. I'm very impatient, but QT is a big deal in salt water. Still I'm trying to QT as short as practical. Since the survey is 50% two weeks and 50% over 4 weeks I'm going with two weeks understanding that it may not catch every possible disease.

I don't quarantine, never have and never had a problem. The LFS I go to though buys from local breeders and uses the same wholesaler that wet spot tropical in Portland uses so I've never had to worry about that.

It seems the survey should have another category, never QT. For those that don't QT how long have you been doing this, every any problems?

Going on ten years. I can't say I never lose a new fish it happens occasionally but I never lost a SW fish to ICH or had a major infestation. In the wild all animals have parasites in fact you have them right now. Because they and you are healthy the parasites have no or minor effects. Once the immune system is compromised then all sorts of things can attack. IMO a healthy immune system is what's important. I've had a aquarium of one kind or another for 40 plus years in that time I have what I consider to be a trained eye for weak or sick fish. The trick is to catch it early. I look at each of my fish every day. If I see a fish flash or look off I add Garlic Extreme to the food. If I see any spots I add it to the tank per instructions. This is what works for me your results may very.

Four to six weeks minimum and this includes fish from private, trusted breeders. If a fish becomes sick during qt, qt does not begin again until the fish is 100% recovered. Prefer to qt for 2-3 months but this isn't always reasonable or possible.

I didn't QT for about two years after coming back to the hobby. Never had any problems - but I was never a person to impulse buy fish, or purchase fish from diseased tanks. My methodology was to find a fish I wanted at an LFS, and have them hold it as long as possible. If it was still in good health in two weeks or therabouts, I'd bring it home and acclimate it to my DT.

Ironically, it was only after I started to QT fish that I had a disaster. It wasn't because of the QT though - I bought a hard-to-find pair of fish that I had never been able to get before the day they came into the LFS. Two days later, not only were mine dead with no visible signs of illness, but the entire batch that the store had gotten were also dead, and their stock tank was now quarantined and mostly empty.

The disaster came when I failed to sterilize my equipment thoroughly and contaminated the DT. I lost all seven of my oldest fish (also difficult to find) in the span of two months after repeatedly fighting off the illness only to have it come back again and again.

The lesson I learned was that before you even decide to QT or not, you need to start making good decisions about the fish you purchase. To that end;

- Avoid getting fish from tanks with sick/dead fish (obviously)
- Observe the fish you want for a while, and observe their tankmates. Watch for suspicious behavior that you wouldn't notice at a glance
- Pick out a fish and let it marinate if you can. Try to avoid picking up brand new fish that just finished their journey to the LFS
- If you absolutely cannot wait for whatever reason, then you get it and QT it

Two years of not quarantining fish and I never had any problems. The day I broke my own rule (of purchasing newly arrived fish due to the rarity of them) was the day I signed the death certificate for my 2+ year old flock of catfish.

So, before you even need the ask the question of "do I need to quarantine?", you need to start making smart choices :)

Reactions: HN1
I don't quarantine, never have and never had a problem. The LFS I go to though buys from local breeders and uses the same wholesaler that wet spot tropical in Portland uses so I've never had to worry about that.

Ha! I just got a quartet of fish shipped in from wet spot today. They arrived in fantastic health and immediately became active in their quarantine tank, which made me very happy considering they are supposedly shy fish.

I figured I wouldn't need to quarantine these guys, but I'd never ordered from wet spot before. If I hadn't already put them in there I'd probably send them straight to the DT, lol.

Back
Top Bottom