Poly-Fil for Filter Media?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

taylorodw

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey,

My filter media is falling apart. Can I replace it with this? It's the only info on ingredients/materials on the package.

Well, there's one kind you shouldn't use... I think the fire retardant is okay, but fire resistant is bad. Fire retardant.... whatever I'll just use the email I sent them

The meaning of both terms:

Flame resistant fiber - Fiber that has been chemically treated to inhibit burning.
Flame retardant fiber - Fiber, such as polyester, that inhibits or resists the spread of fire without the aid of chemical treatments. .Our Nufoam is treated with a chemical.

Wait...NuFoam is treated with a chemical? Are you sure? I have been using it in my pond filter for several months now, and I checked it out online first. It is being used by quite a few people in aquarium filters and ponds...

My fish seem to be doing fine so far, but it's only been a few months.

To the original poster, I can offer some suggestions on this type of product that do not relate to the chemical additive questions, but more to the "structural" issues. The batting (sheet-like) stuff can be cut to fit, but the loose cottony version must be securely contained somehow. I use nylon stockings, stuffed with the polyfill, and tightly knotted closed. If it gets loose, you will be pulling it out of impellors, plants, and fish gills. NOT good.

Also, hold a sample under running water and make sure that water will pass thru it. I had one batch that turned out to be impervious to water! That would have been a mess.

I think this is the stuff I use

polyfil_fiber2.jpg

The bag says "Resin-Treated" in the second paragraph from the top. I'd be cautious.

+1. The word "treated" usually turns me off on most anything for my tanks.

That's exactly why I am being cautious. :( I need new filter media today though, to change out & remove my carbon to start my meds... woe is me with no car.

That's exactly why I am being cautious. :( I need new filter media today though, to change out & remove my carbon to start my meds... woe is me with no car.

Have an old poly filled pillow that could "disappear"?

Have an old poly filled pillow that could "disappear"?

Have been there . The wife came home one day and was curious why one of the couch throw pillows was a "little less fluffy" as the other . When you are in a bind , you have to do what you have to do , and I was in a bind truck was in the garage and I was out of filter media ! I don't know why she would mind anyways , she changes them every couple of months it seems .

Have been there . The wife came home one day and was curious why one of the couch throw pillows was a "little less fluffy" as the other . When you are in a bind , you have to do what you have to do , and I was in a bind truck was in the garage and I was out of filter media ! I don't know why she would mind anyways , she changes them every couple of months it seems .

That's hilarious! I'm actually kind of impressed that she noticed.

After reading some comments and googling, I have heard this stuff is aquarium-safe... so I went ahead and put it in.

Back
Top Bottom