Pond media in filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Supra

Aquarium Advice Freak
COuld I use my established pond media in a new filter? The pond has been up since the spring. It's 150 gal with koi and comets
Supra

Hi! I honestly dont see why it wouldnt work as long as your pond fish are healthy and you dont remove all the media from the pond. What exactly are you trying to do here-set up a new tank?

Yes, I just acquired a 100 gallon and with my 2 existing filters I was going to run the 2 new filters and add some pond media to the new filters
Supra

I don't see why not...it will be the same strains of beneficial bacteria. Just remember that anything in the pond (algae, illness, etc...) will be moving into the aquarium along with the media.

I'll test the parameters before I take any, don't want to jinx myself but my fish in the pond are doing well
Supra

I was told not to use my existing substrate, because I would get an ammonia spike. I thought it would be good to use because of the bacteria in it. Any thoughts?
Supra

Im sorry but im bit confused here! You want to use the existing substrate from an established tank for your new one? Or your existing substrate from your pond for the new tank? Where are you concerned about an ammonia spike occurring-the new tank, the old tank, or your pond?

Ok sorry, I have an existing 25 gal and an existing 20gal tank, I want to use everything from those 2 tanks. I am going to run those two filters along with 2 new filters on the new 100 gal. I was going to put media from my pond into the two new filters. I will take the old filters off once the new ones are established. I was told if I use the old substrate from my two tanks ( not the pond) it really kicks up the ammonia that is all settled in the substrate. I was thinking the opposite that the substrate would transfer lots of good bacteria.
Supra

It sounds like you have a great plan here!!! Disturbing the gravel by transferring it shouldnt affect your ammonia/cause a spike-its covered in good bacteria! Disturbing it may cause a possible rise in nitrates but thats about it. Good luck with your new tank!!!

My brother seeded his tank off of my grandfathers pond, it worked pretty well. He still had to dose ammonia, but the cycling was no as long.

Back
Top Bottom