pond pump vs hang on tank filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
nothing, I don't want it. I guess it is supposed to circulate the water. like I said, I already have an AC 110. but I'm considering adding a small filter of some sort to help out

Smartpond Refurbished DP330 Pond Pump | eBay
33gph

Am I allowed to post a link to the other forum I'm on? I can show you what she is saying.
There's a lot of talk about the CO2 or whatever collecting in a layer on the bottom and how there needs to be a pond pump to move the water and oxygenate. This woman is very persistent that it is done her way, or no way.

Yes, you can so we can understand what your being told as well. It's bit difficult to understand when we are only hearing part of the story.

ok the link doesn't work unless you are a member, so nevermind. I'll copy the page when I get home and see if I can post it as a pic

The link took me to the site but not to your specific post. I briefly browsed the site and I must say I am pretty horrified with the 'advice' they offer. Things such as goldfish only need 2.5g per fish, water changes should be less than 30% because wcs 'remove good bacteria', carbon removes ammonia and will prevent a tank from cycling, use garlic to treat ich, mint tea to cure a sick goldfish, blahblah are all ridiculous and I honestly feel bad for anyone that is following the 'advice' they are offering. If you would like to seek advice from actual goldfish owners and breeders, try the Goldfish Keepers forum or Kokos Goldfish forum.

The link took me to the site but not to your specific post. I briefly browsed the site and I must say I am pretty horrified with the 'advice' they offer. Things such as goldfish only need 2.5g per fish, water changes should be less than 30% because wcs 'remove good bacteria', carbon removes ammonia and will prevent a tank from cycling, use garlic to treat ich, mint tea to cure a sick goldfish, blahblah are all ridiculous and I honestly feel bad for anyone that is following the 'advice' they are offering. If you would like to seek advice from actual goldfish owners and breeders, try the Goldfish Keepers forum or Kokos Goldfish forum.

What? You would be on the top of the book talking goldfish in my book. That's not even fair to send them someplace else..

What? You would be on the top of the book talking goldfish in my book. That's not even fair to send them someplace else..

Thanks, but I do not know everything and I don't expect everyone to heed everything I suggest! The goldie forums are great sources of info but this only applies to those that are respected and provide quality info! :)

I read this as well but it does state 2.5g per inch of goldfish body

I read this as well but it does state 2.5g per inch of goldfish body

By suggesting this, however, they are condoning keeping a 1inch goldfish in a 2.5g tank. Its ridiculous to even suggest this. A more realistic calculation is 10g per inch of fish.

By suggesting this, however, they are condoning keeping a 1inch goldfish in a 2.5g tank. Its ridiculous to even suggest this. A more realistic calculation is 10g per inch of fish.

Yes thats true. I dont condone the idea of 2.5g per inch of goldfish. Realistically though it would work for if even a month. The truth of the matter is, a goldfish has an incredibly large bio load thus needing more gallons per inch. If it were me, I wouldn't accept even a 10g for a single goldfish. They need massive ammounts of filtration and heavy PWC's to even keep up with them. Alot of the problem lies with the feeding. They will eat until the food is gone so most see this as "okay he is still hungry, ill give him more" and then creating large ammounts of waste. I would accept a 20g for 1 goldfish till they are 4 inches. Then I would move them ro an outside pond because its the best suitable place. Also, as far as filtration on a single goldfish in a 20g, I would use something along the line of an AC70 and 2 times a week substrate vacuum. Thus eliminating most waste and helping keep the tank clean.

Back
Top Bottom