Pond rehabilitation project needs fish... please!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Karinmuller

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Dear Aquarium Friends,

About two years ago I took over a wastewater-runoff pond in my large apartment complex in Northern Raleigh and started to turn it into a "wildlife refuge". My ultimate goal was not just to beautify the environment, but to provide a natural sanctuary and a valuable teaching tool for urban kids and school systems. It is now flourishing - filled with animals and attracting lots of people (and kids) who are learning about the environment despite their city living situation.
I would now like to use this is a pilot project to renovate other runoff ponds (they often look like bomb craters). I'm wondering if you might know of a source of goldfish, catfish, fathead minnows that I could use to stock some of these ponds. I'm doing this mostly out of my own pocket so I don't have many resources to buy fish...

Thank you so much!

Sincerely yours,

Karin Muller

try contacting your Dept of Natural resources or Dept of Fish and Game. They would be able top help you along with this maybe and possibly tell you where to get fish that are native to your state.

try buying some goldfish fvrom the lfs store, also if the fish in the ponds arent big now, if any in there, try buying some feader gold fish. in time the goldfish will get real big. i had at first maybe 3 small goldfish in our pond. now 2 years later the goldfish are about maybe 8 inches long. and the feaders are real cheap.

Caution and possible help

Sooooo old thread, didn't notice how old. Are you doing this still and if so how did it work out and if not what happened. This is a great idea!

You could apply for grants to accomplish these improvements. You may need to become a non profit entity. Sometimes local industry and businesses have $$ to donate to improve the communities they exist in. Using the one you have already done as you model!

You should keep native non invasive species in species of fish and plants in the pond/nature areas. Your county cooperative extension should be able to help provide you with information.

Adding invasive types of plants and pond inhabitants can be worse than having none. Also of letting go of pets (goldfish) into natural areas can be illegal depending on town ordinances. Please check these things to make sure these cannot get into native areas downstream from your location.

It is a wonderful idea to make these eyesore/difficult areas projects. Maybe you can team with Eagle Scouts or National Honor Society students who need volunteer hours, maybe even a horticulture program from a local HS or community college or local church youth or garden club to naturalize these areas. Local plants can be harvested with permission from city/county lands or private homes.

Happy improvements to you!

Back
Top Bottom