Pond snail

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

guppylvr11

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I just added anacharis to my tank tonight. About an hour later I found a pond snail on my tank wall. How do I ensure I don't have any more? any advice will help.:ermm:

Once they're in, they're in.

Pick them out as soon as you see them. If you find yourself getting overrun with them, put a slice of cucumber in a little pot and put it in the tank. Wait a few hours, take the tub out and turf all the snails.

You could get an assassin snail to keep them under control. I have no personal experience with them so no idea how good they are.

Puffer fish, or a turtle, if you have the space for a whole new set-up. They'll eat snails.

Or you could tear down the tank and give everything a bleach dip to kill off any snails/eggs and start again, then make sure you dip any future plants.

The reason they're known as pest snails, is because once they're in, they're in.

I have pond, ramshorn, mystery, assassin, and nerite snails. (charter member of [emoji222] club! Lol)

At first I too tried to get rid of them, bought yo-yo loaches and assassins snails. The loaches will eradicate the snails, however they also won't alowe any fry to survive in the tank (I'm a livebearer nut).

They killed all snails in my 75, and all my fry and juvenile platys (20+).
The loaches are now gone, my family enjoys livebearers!

The assassin's replaced the loaches, but really don't do the job. I had hopes of breeding the assassin snails but have lost several.

I have repopulated the 75 with pond and ramshorn's for the assassin's to eat, now finally my point. I watch feeding and the population is now under control but out of 3 tanks the loaches and assassins only ever did the job in one tank, so just try feeding less and that should control them.

Snails are very beneficial to a tank, but can be controlled by assassin's or watching feeding. If you get assassins they could possibly kill any other snail, so keep any you want to keep separated (as I now do with my mystery's). Loaches are great, but if you get them they need lots of space and bring issues of their own.

Sorry about the long post, hope I helped. I just chill and don't over feed and now I'm good with them.

Never turn your back on a snail. Or overfeed. Follow this and you won't have any problems. They are very beneficial to your tank.

If you stop keeping an eye on them and overfeeding. One will become hundreds.

Loaches are so slack! The yoyo's knock any snails off in mine (luckily), except mystery snails that are too big for them but the snails (mostly from plants) might get ignored for several weeks.

Back
Top Bottom