Poo Eater! :D

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

J-Aqua

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey,

Like the title says I need a specimen that will eat fish feces (bottom deweler) and that is fast and can hold its ground against a 4-5in Jack Dempsey, a 3in Female Convict, and a 4in pleco. I am not sure, but correct me if wrong but can't Yoyo loaches eat feces? Or some kind of "Yellow" Shelld snail eat fish feces (thats what I heard not sure tho)? I am a avid cleaner, but something besides a gravel vac that will eat the poo would be really nice! :lol: TIA

J

There really aren't any true "poo eaters". Some animals, if starved enough, will scavange, but in general, poo removal is up to you, your plants, and your filter.

J-Aqua said:
Hey,

Like the title says I need a specimen that will eat fish feces (bottom deweler) and that is fast and can hold its ground against a 4-5in Jack Dempsey, a 3in Female Convict, and a 4in pleco. I am not sure, but correct me if wrong but can't Yoyo loaches eat feces? Or some kind of "Yellow" Shelld snail eat fish feces (thats what I heard not sure tho)? I am a avid cleaner, but something besides a gravel vac that will eat the poo would be really nice! :lol: TIA

J

I hear that Pythons love to eat lots of fish poop from the bottom of tanks. Mine absolutely loves to dwell at the bottom and suction through all the fish poo.

There is no nutrient in poop, its a waste byproduct. No living thing will feed on it, get the python :)

-Pleco

I have an Emperor 280 with bio wheel (280gph) and couple decor here and there. Log, castle and some fake plants. I just need some R&R from the feces! hahaha.

Maybe you should put a toilet in the castle and plumb it directly to the emporer?

haha

Like it was said above, Pythons are your best friend.

Har har har... hahah. I have a python it just comes out more often then I would like it to. Heh, feels like I should be living in that tank. My women tells me "You can clean that fish tank, but you can even pick up your damn socks!" Hahahhaa.

Also, is their such a thing called a LAZY pleco. My pleco seems like he just stays in one spot and doesn't clean the glass or the rest of the tank just in that damn castle. I have talked my Aquarium store and they told me to bring him in and exchange him for a catfish (silver catfish), forgot the exact name and it will do a better job of cleaning... My pleco looks like this, but with two bumps on his nose:
http://www.ilfordaquarists.co.uk/hac2005/tn_shirley2.jpg

I occationally feed him algea disks if I see him out. He eats those just fine.

neilanh said:
he may be nocturnal. Do you see him out and about after lights out?

Yes, I do but he doesn't move. He goes to one spot and stays their until I turn on the lights. Once I do he retreats to the castle, lol.

I have seen both my Ghost Shrimp and Mystery Snail take in poo from my fish, Gouramis being the largest fish I have in the tank. This isn't to say that they will be a good cleanup crew. I've seen it once or twice though.

You have yet to see poo - wait til your pleco is over a foot long . Thats a common pleco in the pic and can get over 2 feet long . Mine is a foot now and can he s**t.

kansei said:
You have yet to see poo - wait til your pleco is over a foot long . Thats a common pleco in the pic and can get over 2 feet long . Mine is a foot now and can he s**t.

Haha, thats where all my waste is coming from is that damn pleco. Is there any pleco out their that doesn't produce A LOT of waist. I just raised the castle (where he dorms) and my god poop city! 8O

J

All pleco's produce mass amounts of waste. Even my small clown pleco leaves poo all over the area he like to hang out around.

-Pleco

J-Aqua - If you want to reduce the instances you need to vacuum try putting in an UGJ (Under Gravel/Sand Jet) System if you have say a 4 foot or large tank. This hooks up to a pump or a large powerhead in your tank, usually made of pvc pipe, and basically circulates the lower water column of your tank. Then almost all the poop gets circulated and eventually ends up in the filter intake. Depending on how you design the system you will have either no-vacuuming to do or very minimal because the poop ends up on only a couple spots. The thing is you have to remove your substrate, rocks and possibly your fish, so the best time to do this is if you plan on redoing your tank completely. I’ve done this on two large tanks that have sand and if I stop the pumps for a few hours poops is everywhere.

These threads give you some ideas of what a UGJ system looks like.

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/ug_jets.php

http://www.cichlidforums.com/showth...6688317550009377&threadid=16146&highlight=UGJ

If you have a 3 foot long tank or shorter you could get a similar effect by using 2 powerheads or water pumps pointed across your tank to circulate the lower water column.

First of all, basically all plecos are nocturnal, and thus will be lazy during the day.

Second of all, nothing eats poop.

Idealconcepts said:
J-Aqua - If you want to reduce the instances you need to vacuum try putting in an UGJ (Under Gravel/Sand Jet) System if you have say a 4 foot or large tank. This hooks up to a pump or a large powerhead in your tank, usually made of pvc pipe, and basically circulates the lower water column of your tank. Then almost all the poop gets circulated and eventually ends up in the filter intake. Depending on how you design the system you will have either no-vacuuming to do or very minimal because the poop ends up on only a couple spots. The thing is you have to remove your substrate, rocks and possibly your fish, so the best time to do this is if you plan on redoing your tank completely. I’ve done this on two large tanks that have sand and if I stop the pumps for a few hours poops is everywhere.

These threads give you some ideas of what a UGJ system looks like.

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/ug_jets.php

http://www.cichlidforums.com/showth...6688317550009377&threadid=16146&highlight=UGJ

If you have a 3 foot long tank or shorter you could get a similar effect by using 2 powerheads or water pumps pointed across your tank to circulate the lower water column.

Wow, thanks for the info I will check it out.

Back
Top Bottom