Pool filter sand?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Oscarr19

Aquarium Advice Addict
I want to change the substrate to sand in my 5 gallon. I have snails, shrimp and a Betta in it. My question is what is the best method to swap it out without getting a mini cycle? I might do this with my 32G aswell even though I just set it up with gravel :p

Make sure to keep the filter pad and decor in a bucket of your tank's water. This will help prevent minicycle. There are not that much beneficial bacteria in your substrate. Most of it is in your filter pad. Even if your tank goes on a minicycle, your livestock will most likely able to handle it.

Try changing half of the substrate at a time.Cut a piece of plexiglass about 3" tall and wide enough to fit snug across the width of your tank in the bottom, this will keep the two substrates separated. After about 4 weeks change the other half out. Your bio filter should not be interrupted.

IME you can change it all at once as long as the filter is established. I havent had any problems with mini-cycles in doing this several times

I'm running 2 established filters on the 32G and one on the 5G so i figure i should be ok.

Back
Top Bottom