pool filter sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Another thing with pool filter sand, because its courser, it doesn't compact. Makes it easy to set up your displays, etc. Don't have to fight with pushing things into the pfs because it's too hard. It's actually quite soft, easy to landscape, push around, and most of all, easier to clean. Just wave the gravel vac over the top of the pfs to kick up the debris and suck it up.

As for cories, they do just fine. Any food that falls to the bottom just sits on top, doesn't go down into the sand, so the cats just go around cleaning the top of your pfs. And as for snails, haven't had any problems with the pfs being too sharp. In fact, the pfs I have isn't all that sharp.

My overall view of PFS?
I love it. (And so do my eels and dojo loach) Highly recommended. And much cheaper than aquarium gravel.

thank you for all the nice replies..... i will buy some tomorrow... is there an easy way to clean it before i put it in my tank

I think most agree on the fill a pail 2/3 full, run a hose (you'll have to play with the flow a bit) and jam it in. it will create a mildly fluidized bed allowing all light particles to float up and over the top. Keep moving it around to get the sand in the corners (yes, there are corners in a cylinder, the 90degree bottom :)) when the water runs clear, add it to the tank and repeat.

Like he said, adjust the flow so it's not so hard that it's spitting out sand over the edge, but strong enough to be kicking out the dust, etc.

I did not rinse my sand before putting it in the tank and I got very very little dust if any at all.

well i rinsed my sand... too wich i thought would be good enough, got my tank set back up and i have dust..... im not worried about it, it is gettin better slowly but surely, and plus its only been in there for about two hours.... i love the way it looks though... it looks so much more realistic, and the fish seem to like it alot more....

Back
Top Bottom