pool filter sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I work for a pool retail company, and the standard sand we get is a light tan. White sand is sometimes sold by pool stores, but it usually is more expensive so they opt for the cheaper tan version.

In my opinion, the tan looks more natural, white is fake looking(and will show more of the funk than tan)

mine was a really white colour but it was peppered with just a little black. it was only 8 bucks for 50 pounds lol how can u go wrong no matter what colour it is

Most is light tan in color. Your tank will look more realistic by using sand IMO. Not to mention the savings if you have a big tank. I filled my 150gal for 22 bucks!!! Plus the fish love it!

well dont get diatoms earth i am pretty sure that isnt good for tanks but i mean i just went to the pool store and asked for pool filter sand and got a big bag of 50 lbs for 5 bucks!!

I HEARD it also won't cloud your water as much as say, eco-complete or flourite.
I can't attest to this, as it clouded up our pool when we first changed it in our filter. (once every 10 years, lol)

My PFS is tan in color. You do have to rinse it out well, and even when you do, it will cloud some. But goes away pretty quickly.

Look in the bag before you buy it, because the color varies. I bought a bag of pool filter sand without looking once, got it home, and it was the ugliest brown i had ever seen. I ended up using it for traction on the ice this winter.

Andyvette,

Cory's are awesome with the PFS. They filter feed in such a way that they will pull food into their mouths, "process" it, and then shoot it out the back of the gills. It's very fun to watch, and I'm sure they prefer this method over trying to feed off large objects like rocks or aquarium gravel. I highly recommend it if you plan on having cory's.

justin

now i have done some research on this topic, and pool filter sand isnt argonite, its silica, but my question is people say that silica sand isnt good because its sharper than argonite, and that inverts will not do well in it... but i have no inverts, so will this sand be okay for me to use? it cant be any worse than gravel can it?

I'm pretty new at this, so, do I understand right that you use pool filter sand in an aquarium instead of gravel? And why -- is it easier to keep clean or something?

The main benefit it has over normal sand is it is courser. This means each grain is larger and will sink much faster than normal sand, so it won't get stirred up like normal sand will.

While it is silica-based, it is MUCH less sharp than gravel. It is also quite cheap.

As for it being cleaner than play sand, I doubt it. If anything its worse, but that is why you clean it well before putting it in the tank.

Oh and when using a gravel vac you can pull the fish poop and uneaten food off of the sand without sucking the sand up as well.

I use it, and its great.

justin

I just started a new 55 gal fw tank that I am cycling now. This was my first time using filter sand. At first I was sceptacle because I had no idea what filter sand looked like. It just so happened that I bought a new pool filter after last years swimming season and it is a sand filter, so I needed the sand anyway. I bought 200 lbs for 30 dollars. I used 50 lbs for my tank. I must say so far it is the best looking fw tank I have ever had. It looks so natural. The sand is a tan color, very much like the beach during low tide. I also painted the back of the tank blue. What a combination. I still need some driftwood and plants but it looks great without em'. You will not regret the filter sand.

Good Luck,
Brian

Forgot to add that I put the sand in the tank, placed a plate on the sand and used a hose to add water onto the plate until the tank was full. There was nothing to settle after it was full.

Back
Top Bottom