Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-14-2006, 05:24 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to tracygh Send a message via Yahoo to tracygh
Where in Canada are you? That can make a difference.
I would be very hesitant to use beach sand, you never know what's in it. I have collected rocks and driftwood off the beach, but then I boil them for a long time first. Don't know if you can do that with sand.

Tracy

*of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most*
tracygh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 05:45 PM   #12

im hesitant to use beach sand as well, but its the easy way out, im going to keep looking for sand at home depot or something though, when i first got fish i got gravel fromt he beach and i never had problems with it, i accually still use it years later, the only reason i got gravelf rom the beach it because i couldnt afoord gravel from the store..lol

but my search for sand continues...the white sand looks horrible to me
Old 03-14-2006, 07:16 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to flipz
You should have no problem at all getting play sand from home depot. It's like $5-6 for a 50 lb bag. It's not as big of grain as the pool filter sand, but like I said I've never had any problems. Worst case scenario (and is recommended anyways) you put a sponge or something similar over the intake on your filter just to protect it. Works like a charm!

-brent

Tags
filter, pool, pool filter sand, sand

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com