Pool Filter sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

i finally got out to get some pool filter sand as recommened by this site, and ive been to 2 pool stores today and all they have is white sand, i was hoping to get a naturally coloured sand but these pool store dont have it only white sand, i called another store and they only have white too...where can i get naturally coloured sand with a decent size grain size?

Have you tried Lowe's? The one in my area does sell pool filter sand (and no, I'm not confusing it with play sand. :lol: )

And I'm assuming you either know this already, or even if it's simply just your preference, don't settle for the white sand. You have NO idea how dirty and gross it will look in just a few days. Even the natural looks pretty bad, but I still love it!

Just an FYI that I am using the play sand from Lowe's and I've never had any problems with my fish or filtration. It's great, and looks awesome!! But you may have a reason for wanting the larger grain.

-brent

edit: i just saw that you were in canada, i'm not sure if you even have lowe's there? i would assume so though.

there is no Lowes in my city but there is a home Depot and a Rona i think, ill call them

its frustrating becuase i was all ready to switch to sand today and i even bought a bag of sand and when i got home and opened it up it was white i was so mad

ive called all the pool stores in my area and the last guy i called said all the pool filter sand is white, its the only kind of pool filter sand there is according to this guy onyl white sand.....

what about going down to the beach strip and gather a bucket of that sand....i got gravel from the beach before and i used it in two tanks and it been in my 10 gallon for years with no truobles

Sand is one of those things where the manufacturing cost is majorly overshadowed by transport costs. Lots of places only use local suppliers for gravel and sand even if they're national chains. It's just too expensive to haul rock long distance. It could be that all the pool filter sand in your area is white, as that's what's locally minable.

dskidmore is right. Most sand is waht is mined "locally" within a few hundred miles, usually. Try to find aragonite based tropical play sand, thats what we use for sand in a reef tank, other than on the east coast. You can get it at the lfs and online for about 6 dollars apound but the local tropical play sand is the exact same stuff for about 6 dollars for a 50 pound bag. This sand is mined from the carribean and comes in by boat to the coast. It is not trucked long distances due to cost and weight.

I went a little off topic but was trying to get a point across.

PS. there is no white filter sand in my area, that I know of, only natural tan color stuff.

Brian

the whole idea was to save on costs becuase if cost was no issue id buy 50 lbs for $50 dollars at the lfs

thanks for the responses i guess its luck of the draw, ill look to get play sand next time in out

Where in Canada are you? That can make a difference.
I would be very hesitant to use beach sand, you never know what's in it. I have collected rocks and driftwood off the beach, but then I boil them for a long time first. Don't know if you can do that with sand.

Tracy

im hesitant to use beach sand as well, but its the easy way out, im going to keep looking for sand at home depot or something though, when i first got fish i got gravel fromt he beach and i never had problems with it, i accually still use it years later, the only reason i got gravelf rom the beach it because i couldnt afoord gravel from the store..lol

but my search for sand continues...the white sand looks horrible to me

You should have no problem at all getting play sand from home depot. It's like $5-6 for a 50 lb bag. It's not as big of grain as the pool filter sand, but like I said I've never had any problems. Worst case scenario (and is recommended anyways) you put a sponge or something similar over the intake on your filter just to protect it. Works like a charm!

-brent

Back
Top Bottom