Pool filter sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dr Grant

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've seen a couple post on using it as a substrate, I'm considering using it on my new tank. I was wondering if there is less area for bacteria to colonize becuase it's more compact than gravel? Would this affect bio-load?

Most of the bacteria is going to colonize in the filter. The only thing you have to be careful with when using sand is to make sure you don't clean the filter too much at once. The substrate does not effect the bioload.

Actually, I use PFS and there's just as much area for bacteria as normal gravel. As for filter cleaning, I have a 55G with PFS and do my normal filter cleaning with no ill effects. So I wouldn't say not to do proper filter cleaning all at one time, I do and I have a very heavy bioload and everything is fine. Bacteria is everywhere, gravel, filter, plants, ornaments, etc. A mature tank won't see any mini-cycle because of doing proper filter maintenance, even with pool filter sand.

I have a bottomless tank (no substrate) so I can attest that your filter and other surfaces will grow a sufficient area for good bacteria to grow on. Even after replacing all my ornaments in the tank with new ones I did not have a mini-cycle or see any ammonia or nitrite spikes. My conclusion from all this - the good bacteria will grow whereever they can to handle a reasonable bio-load.

I agree with Lwb, on the filter cleaning. You should be able to clean the filter completely (using tank water) without having a spike in ammonia or nitrite. Removing solids from the filter will only make it work better. The filters biological function is to remove nitrogen products from the water. This miht be a good subject for a seperate thread.
The PFS would actually have more total area for bacteria, although it would be less accessible. As sands go, PFS has alarger grain size than many sands in use, so is superior, in my view. The only problem I have with it is that most of it is white silica sand, and I don't like the look of it. To me, it is unnatural looking. If you can get it, Red Flint makes a very nice PFS, and aquarium sand. The two are the same grain size, so must be the same product. You can have a look here. http://www.redflint.com/pool_filtration_sand.htm . I have a bunch of their gravel, and very much like the overall look, and colour. It is made up of a variety of natural stones,

Back
Top Bottom