Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-01-2006, 06:20 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via MSN to MattAquaBio
pool filter sand and other questions

Firstly, i want to change substrate in my 55 gallon. I'm going to put pool filter sand in instead. Where can i get pfs? Also, when doing vac's, wouldnt it syphon the sand out as well as the waste? I'm working on some rockwork for the back of the tank right now. I'm using PVC pipes and making caves and a rock wall for back for them. So whats the best way to secure this to the back? i'm not worried about it floating lol.

Old 07-01-2006, 06:35 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

1. pfs: get at any pool equipment store, some hardware stores also have it

2. no it wouldnt siphon out the sand.

3. securing it inside our outside the tank?

Old 07-01-2006, 11:58 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Matt:

I am in the process of setting up a 125g Malawi Cichlid tank. I bought pool filter sand at Home Depot for about $6.00 for 50 lbs. In the lawn and garden section. Will be putting it in the tank this week sometime hopefully. From what I've been told, it's a lot easier to wash/clean prior to putting it in the tank than say "play sand" and will look a lot better. The waste and debris will sit on top of the sand, so there shouldn't be a lot of "deep" siphoning that you'll have to do.

I see you are from N. Georgia....I'm from Chattanooga originally.
Old 07-01-2006, 02:18 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

I want to secure it inside the tank.
Home depot, got it, theres one about ten minutes from here.
I have to go to chattanooga to get most of my fish supplies. I'm about a thirty minute drive from Hamilton Place Mall lol.
Old 07-01-2006, 02:23 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Gotcha...I grew up in Red Bank, in the Nashville area now. Have only been to a couple fish shops in Chatt...are there some local fish stores you can suggest visiting?

David
Old 07-02-2006, 05:19 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

in Dalton, where i live, there is one called Aquatic pet connection, great store, manager takes really good care of it. As many times as i've been there i've only seen one or two sick fish. The only problem is that the store doesnt have many fish over 1'' long. They sell lots of betas and guppies and stuff like that. A few chichlids, but not very many. They have an extensive salt water selection though. They also sell a lot of different aquarium supplies, but not tanks or hoods and that sort of thing. So i get supplies from there, i get tanks and larger things like that from petco (good experiences with the chattanooga one) and occasionally petsmart, i prefer to buy what fish i can from lfs though.
Old 07-02-2006, 05:56 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via ICQ to Lonewolfblue Send a message via Yahoo to Lonewolfblue
As for gravel vacs, some can syphon pool filter sand out. But you don't need to do vacs like with regular gravel. You just wave the vac across the top of the sand and suck anything up that you kick up. Also, if you don't have any MTS, then you need to stir the sand around once and a while so it doesn't get any anearobic pockets building up. I never push my vac down into my pool filter sand, just clean up what's on the surface.
Old 07-02-2006, 07:53 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

ah okay, well in that case i'm going tomorrow to get the pfc. Thanks everyone.
Old 07-02-2006, 09:52 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

Matt:

Cool, I'll have to check that store out the next time I'm in the Dalton area. I went to one on Ringgold Rd. in East Ridge a while back, it was pretty good. It's called Fish Mania...it was pretty decent. Here in Nashville the Petsmarts are much better than Petcos, especially for tank and fish. Never buy fish there though, we have a great LFS called the Aquatic Critter that's the go-to place for fish in this area. www.aquaticcritter.com If you are ever in the area, check them out.

Tags
filter, pool, pool filter sand, sand

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com