Pool Filter Sand Safe for Goldfish and Plecos?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SeannyBoy84

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
How's it going? My mother has a 50 gallon tank with several Goldfish that are about 4 inches long, and several Plecos that are a tad bit bigger. The current substrate is some ugly-looking gravel that the previous owner had. I'm thinking of buying a couple bags of pool filter sand and replacing it. Just wondering if this will be safe for the fish? Thanks.[/quote]

I think u can, but you may want to save the water from the old tank to the new tank. A lot of good nutrients and bacteria lie within old gravel, which are essential to the life cycle in your aquarium =D

Yes it is s safe. How long has the tank been set up? Just make sure you feel the filter media wet. The substrate doesn't hold as much bacteria as the filter. And water doesn't hold it at all. Put the fish in a big container or fish bags while you do the change. Then acclimate them into the tank after it is done. Is the tank a temporary housing for the fish?

For the Pleco the sand is fine, however I have read that gravel is better for goldfish.

Barebottom is best for goldfish. They can get gravel stuck in their throats while foraging and die of starvation. BTW your mother is risking either species of her fish by keeping them together. She should seperate them. The plecos sound like commons that will outgrow the tank also.

Zagz said:
I merged the 2 threads into one thread.

Thanks.

I know that they will inevitably grow too big for the tank, but for now they're fine. It's 4 goldfish and 3 plecos. I shouldn't have said "several". I believe the pleco is a chocolate chip spiny, and they'll grow up to about a foot long. So yes, once it's time, we'll switch them over to a larger tank. BTW, the filter is an external power canister filter. I think it's one of those Magnum 350s made by Marineland. I'm definately going to switch the current gravel out because it seems too rough, and I worry that it's not safe for them when they starting sucking on it. As for sand or just medium sized pebbles, I'm still not sure. It's a toss up. I do appreciate all your help. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom