Pool Filter Sand Substrate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

t57spikes

Aquarium Advice Freak
I currently have a rock substrate in my 35 gallon tank and I have had a diatom problem for over a month now, I use tap water in this tank. I have a 5 gallon betta tank with white sand substrate that also uses tap water and that tank is crystal clear. So I'm think about changing my rock to pool filter sand, is that an advisable change? I've read that silica sand can cause a diatom bloom since the silica can dissolve into the water over time and fuel the bloom. Is sand any harder to keep clean than rock? Thanks for the help!

I just started up a tank I got for free off Craigslist and I decided to switch out the gravel that was in there with pool filter sand as I have read it is much easier to clean. I also really like the natural look it provides, here's a picture of it. I'm letting it go through a mini cycle right now as I did almost a complete water change but will be taking the decoration on the right out and adding plants and fish within the next week as long as my water levels stabilize.

I just started up a tank I got for free off Craigslist and I decided to switch out the gravel that was in there with pool filter sand as I have read it is much easier to clean. I also really like the natural look it provides, here's a picture of it. I'm letting it go through a mini cycle right now as I did almost a complete water change but will be taking the decoration on the right out and adding plants and fish within the next week as long as my water levels stabilize.

I like the look over it plus I can keep cories on sand. That's a nice tank, I like the house in it. Did you use pool filter sand?

The decorations came with the tank, along with an albino Cory and massive angel that were able to be put into another tank I have! all for free! All I had to buy to get this tank going was the pool filter sand (just because I didn't like the existing gravel). But to answer your question, yes that is the pool filter sand, I got mine at Home Depot.

I think il be making the switch. I'll pull out the 10 danios I have in there now and put them In an extra Tank while I do the change. Does the sand seem to get kicked up any or are the particles a good size that stays on the bottom?

Particles are big enough where it will stay on the bottom. Just make sure to clean it off really well before you put it in the tank, it's actually pretty dirty right out of the bag. And like any other big change you will need to give it time to settle, I set mine up one night right before I went to sleep and the water was pretty cloudy but woke up the next morning and the water was crystal clear.

I'd have to go look at it tomorrow, I'm not at home right now, but it was like $5 for 50 pounds of it

Good luck! I got my tank with gravel in it and made the switch to PFS and absolutely love it and so do my cories

Back
Top Bottom