Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-31-2012, 08:18 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Poor Little Dwarf Gourami

This morning I turned on the lights in my tank and one of my dwarf gouramis was stuck in the little house in the tank. I had to push it out to free it. It was gasping for air. Unfortunately it looks scraped on its side. Its swimming, but doesn't look to good. I put some stress coat in the tank hoping it will help the scrapes heal. Is there anything else I can do? What should I watch for because its sides are injured. I have removed the little house.

Old 01-31-2012, 08:22 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I've heard a little aquarium salt is good for helping the healing process.

Not sure on the levels though...

Old 01-31-2012, 08:34 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

You could look at API Melafix the blurb on the label says "Promotes the regrowth of damaged tissue and fins " and "Rapidly repairs damaged fins, ulcers and open wounds"
Old 01-31-2012, 09:29 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

The biggest risk for your fish right now is infection - both external and internal. The wound will likely "scab" with a whitish covering before the scales regrow, but if you start to see any signs of fungus, bloating, ich, etc. You may want to be prepared to treat for those and move to a QT tank if necessary.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Vircomore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 12:33 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyf1971 View Post
You could look at API Melafix the blurb on the label says "Promotes the regrowth of damaged tissue and fins " and "Rapidly repairs damaged fins, ulcers and open wounds"
I happen to have some API Melafix and so I treated the tank. I fed them and he ate like normal. He's probably tired of me staring at him. I will qt him if he gets worse or the others start picking at him.

Tags
dwarf, dwarf gourami, gourami

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com