Poor little fiddler crab

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

William

Aquarium Advice Addict
Yesterday I saw this poor little fiddlercrab at the store that I just felt so sorry for.

Hes been bullied bad, you can tell. hes missing two legs and his small, feeder claw.

Hes young, so his main claw is very small, but its so sad to watch him try to eat with his big claw, worse still is that some times he tries to squat down over his food so he can eat it right off the ground.

I just felt so sorry for this guy that I had to get him so he could atleast have fair chance at survival.

i may even take him out of the main tank I have him in now nad put him into a little bowl so he won't have to deal with the stress of the other fish being around..

Would that be a good idea? or would he need some filteration? it'd only be him in there, and he only eats shrimp pellets.. so it'd only be like one or two pellets a day.. maybe weekly water changes?

He had no chance to survive at the LFS, the had like 8 other crabs with him [ altho they were all female ], and no cover.

so he had no place to hide, and without his legs and eating claw he is far to high strung to be able to eat outside of hiding.

So what I'm doing, with him in the main tank, is dropping the shrimp pellets right inside where he hides. Took a bit of luck, but a landed about 3 of them right infront of him.

He promptly went to town and devoured all of them, A good sign :)

Hopefully he'll molt soon so he can grow his missing limbs back.

Back
Top Bottom