Poor Otos

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spilzer

Aquarium Advice Activist
I recently brought home 6 otos and after acclimating and quarantining them I added them to my 29 gal.

All was fine until they discovered the return tube from my canister filter. I had modified my ECCO 2232 output a little by adding an extra length of Eheim green tubing to the little elbow. I had the canister off while I was doing the maintenance and since I had a HOB going I didn't turn it back on right away.

The next day I came home after work and couldn't find 3 of the otos. I looked and looked and couldn't even find the carcasses until I noticed the tubing on the filter outflow. There were the missing otos, I guess they must have swum up the tube eating algae and then couldn't get out. :cry:

I felt so irresponsible for leaving that tube there for them to get caught. I'm still new to this whole aquarist thing and didn't even think about fish getting into the tubes. I have since removed the danger and made sure all my other filter intakes were well covered.

I guess this is one of those lessons you learn the hard way. From now on I'll make sure to oto-proof my tanks (kinda like baby proofing).

Thanks Pittdude. Yeah, I consoled myself last night with that exact sentiment. Just feel bad for the poor little guys.

Does anyone have suggestions about how to cap the end of a tube to prevent this from happening again. I'm not sure the regular Eheim capper will fit the slight larger flexible tubing (as opposed to the stiffer tubing used as the intake and outflow elbows).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom