Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-29-2011, 08:20 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Regular

Oh alright i will have to look into it. i really like the idea of the dwarf gourami because i think they look really cool

Old 09-29-2011, 08:21 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearitself View Post
its been a couple months. but if anything it will be a better home for his size. he is only 4 - 5 inches so it isnt that bad right now
Quote:
Oh alright i will have to look into it. i really like the idea of the dwarf gourami because i think they look really cool
Yep that's for sure

Old 09-30-2011, 12:33 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Regular

so I put about 10 guppies with my turtles and from what i saw they ate one and then havnt touched them since. that was a couple hours ago so idk if they have eaten any more. they stay outside in a big kitty pool in my backyard during the warm months
Old 09-30-2011, 09:27 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Activist

Starve your turtles and leave the guppies in the tank, eventually they will pick them off
Old 09-30-2011, 09:37 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
its been a couple months. but if anything it will be a better home for his size. he is only 4 - 5 inches so it isnt that bad right now
This is very bad for the pleco. He will suffer stunted growth (keeping a fish in a too small environment) if not removed quickly.

Did you know about guppies and their spawning behavior when you got them?
75: blood parrots, featherfin cat, emperor tetras, turquoise rainbowfish, BN plecos, japanese trapdoor; 46: WCMM, gold inca snails, ghost, bamboo & amano shrimp, kuhli loaches, rummynose & ember tetras, endlers, platies, flame gourami, guppies; 16: pygmy, peppered, loxozonus corys, otos, assassins, RCS ... ~ Research PRIOR to purchase.... ~
LyndaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 11:21 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenPlecTony View Post
Starve your turtles and leave the guppies in the tank, eventually they will pick them off
No that's not the way to go, I have an adult male red eared slider and they should be fed fish as a treat, it's fine if he puts them in the tank because they will also exersize to get them. Also this is the way to feed your turts if you go on vacation or forget to feed them. Over time your turtles will see the guppys as food so they don't have to wait for you to feed them. Still feed them sticks or formula because these keep alot of calcium and minerals the guppys cannot provide. If you want to have no fry at all I would take all the females out of your aquarium and put them with the turtles.this way your aquarium is very colorful with all the males. Another thing is that the turtles may not see the females right away because of the little color they have, I had a gray female guppy in my tank for 2 years and to this day is still with my turtle and I even feed the guppy because she is so stealth
Old 09-30-2011, 12:04 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

A common Pleco in a 10g tank is really bad even if they are only a few inches long. A started tank for a baby Pleco would be a 55g and by the time they reach 4-5" the Pleco should be transferred to a 90-125g tank. He needs to be re-homed very quickly to prevent organ damage caused by stunting.
It's not your fault that the FS sold you a Pleco for a 10g tank. It happens all to often. There isn't any Pleco that can live in a 10g tank. The smallest of Plecos need a minimum of 30g to survive in.
I wish it were mandatory for FS to tell you what size tank the fish belong in, it would save a lot of fish and help people make better choices for their tank stock. Most people trust that the FS will give them the appropriate advice when they ask questions. A false assumption in many cases.
Old 09-30-2011, 12:28 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

No pleco, common or otherwise, should be in a 10g.
Old 09-30-2011, 12:54 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak

You guys he gets it, no common pleco, if you ha e read most of this thread he has already said he is going to try and take it back, he asked a question and he is getting replies about something else that is not helping his issue
Old 09-30-2011, 01:03 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice FINatic

If you have a local pet store that is not a chain they MIGHT take your fry, but don't expect store credit (in my experience). They may take them as feeder guppies

Tags
control, guppie, population control, red eared slider

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com