Population Explosion Equilibrium?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

theotheragentm

Aquarium Advice Addict
What happens in a tank with livebearers that is not stopped from breeding? Is the end result always overcrowding as long as there are places for fry to hide because they will eventually make it to adulthood? My dilemna is that I have stopped the population explosion in my main tank, but my dad loves to watch the fry grow up. I don't want to take that away from him, but I don't want to end up fish that are overcrowded and unhealthy. Has anyone come up with any good solutions to balance things out?

Or put in other things that will eat the fry.

But then I'm evil. My greatest thrill over spring break was finally handling a tidepool sculpin...a very pretty green fellow. And I'm hoping to set up a freshwater sculpin tank this summer to "handle" my girlfriend's breeding guppies, and a friend's breeding guppies.

I have a well planted tank with a squadron of guppies.
The fry survival rate should be in check, even with cover, I've got a (nocturnal) bumblebee catfish. Tiny bugger, comparable to a little dirt-devil vac

Back
Top Bottom