Possible Overstocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Keflan

Aquarium Advice Activist
Does adding snails or shrimps to a tank push the stock up? I know some if their bio load is zero.

Just wondering what snails don't reproduce and don't eat leaves? Also what shrimps are not aggressive? I know RCS are community safe. Is there any others?

Thanks.

Any algae eating shrimp will be non-aggressive, while the larger shrimps tend to be omnivorous/carnivorous. Amanos are a good choice for peaceful and efficient cleaners, and are big enough to avoid being eaten by most common community aquarium choices.

The only snails that will not reproduce in freshwater that I know of are the various types of Nerite snails. Olive ones are the best cleaners and stay the smallest, while Red Spot and Tiger varieties have prettier shells and get larger.

Shrimp will usually not hit your bioload much at all, but snails can be a little messy and will need to be taken into consideration for your stocking levels.

Depending on you other fish cherry shrimp and nerite would be ideal. They both have NEVER low bio loads. The snails are like a 1" fish, and the shrimp are alomst nonexistent. What is your current stock?

7 Guppies
6 Neon Tetras
5 Silvertip Tetras
1 Golden Gourami
1 Pleco (not sure what pleco it is though)

Unless you have the big mystery snails its perfectly safe to completely ignore their bio load. The same goes with shrimp.

Since you have a gold gourami I would avoid the rcs and instead go for amanos if you can find them.

I had an amano and I lost 4 neons a while ago and didn't find the bodies. I was thinking the amano ate them?

Get a African dwarf frog. Awesome looking, peaceful, and always hungry and active.

Def won't be food. They get to around 3-4 inches. Mine is my angel fish and they love each other

I don't think the pleco would be going after it. I mean there pretty docile.

They look cool. Could you ID a Plec and snail for me please? Think it's a common Plec and think the snail might be a pond snail. I got the snail free with a purchase. It was in the bag lol. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1391256772.623725.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1391256794.150937.jpg

Yes that is def a common pleco. I had a snail that came with the bag before. Lol. It turned out to be a pond snail so I think that's what u got there

So that's why my plants are disappearing lol. Okay thanks. If I got frogs how many would you recommend?

2-3 would look nice. If u have a petsmart or petco around u they would sell it. But u have to sign a permit for owning the frog.

I am based in the UK. I am going to 2 pet shops now so I will check out both. One is a national store called pets at home but I will try avoid them because I don't think they are cared for well. The other is a sole business man and he only deals with fish and reptiles so his should be more looked after.

Back
Top Bottom