Possible Stocking Plan - Poke holes please!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

woofwoofgrrl

Aquarium Advice Regular
Here's a stocking plan I came up with on AqAdvisor for my 30G long. I'm still not sure whether to go with the pleco or a pictus catfish, though. I'm also mulling swapping out the bolivian ram for second krib.

Please let me know if you see any potential problems! Thanks!

Let's try it with the attachment.....

Okay it didn't upload the .jpg with the stocking list.... fine! I'll type it in....

4 panda cory
6 white skirt tetra
5 longfin Zebra Danio
1 kribensis
6 cardinal tetra
1 honey gourami
1 bolivian ram
1 bristlenose pleco or pictus catfish

Thoughts and Thanks!

I would take out the danios and have a big school of cardinals because it looks cool in my opinion and the danios are just so fast it might stress out your other fish.

I think my Danios are broken, they aren't really that fast and they don't zip around nearly as much as I thought they would! LOL! They do occasionally chase my white skirt tetra around, but it almost seems territorial by the biggest of the Danio. He seems to have staked out one corner of the tank as his. I have no idea if this is a normal danio behavior or not.

I would definitely lean towards the BN Plec. I'm not experienced with Pictus Cats but I've seen info that they can outgrow a 30g or at least be stunted in less than 50g.

Also - not a Cichlid Expert but I don't know how well a Krib and a Ram would get along in the same tank. Are you planning to plant this tank or decorate it heavily? Lots of hiding spots for the ram and the krib could prevent aggression.

It's better to keep the tetras/danios in schools of 7 or more. I would lose one of your schoolers, I think you have one too many groups there for a 30. Pictus cats, like all catfish, like to to be in groups which isn't possible with your tank size. If you keep just one chances are it will be skittish and shy. They are also notorious for eating small fish like tetras. A common pleco is out but one of the dwarf varieties could work. I'm not experienced with the cichlids so I'll leave those for those with more knowledge to comment on :)

Thanks everyone!

Sounds like I should definitely go with the BN Pleco.

I'm thinking I need more color which is why I added the cardinal tetras. Is there a more colorful (not dyed) morph of the white skirts that I could put in there to school with them?

I'm working on planting the tank, and I'm mulling a plan to change things around for more hidey-holes so there should be lots of cover for the krib and ram. Anybody know if I could keep to females of either krib or ram instead of one each of two different species? Would that make a difference?

About the white skirts, absolutely! They are actually the albino variant of the black skirt (or black widow) tetra, and they can all school together. The black widow is a gorgeous tetra (especially the males). I would say go half and half!

My zebra danios could get from one side of my 29g to the other in a little over a second and they were like that all the time.

Back
Top Bottom