potential tank mates?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

khrisNkyersten

Aquarium Advice Regular
So, like many of us, I've fallen under the spell of my bettas. I'm wanting to move my one, Jeb (a sweet little red crowntail) into a 10 gallon set-up. He'll have a heater, plants, driftwood, sand bottom, a nice light, etc.

My question is, with this bigger set-up, what friends could I add? He SEEMS to be of a nice temperament and I have two other tanks in case he decides to be a bully. I was hoping I could add some panda cory cats and 5 neon tetras. Would this hopefully work?

Kyersten

A friend of mine has pretty much the same setup you are talking about. (7 neons and 3 cories)
He added the Betta to the tank last, and he immediately flared and killed one of the tetras. He hasn't had any issues since, though.
I have read that neons could get nippy towards a Betta, so that's also something to watch for.

I have my Betta in a heavily planted ten gallon with some african dwarf frogs and a mystery snail... they all get along great!

If your betta doesn't mind them, cories are always a safe bet as they won't bother your betta at all. I had a little Albino cory in my tank with my betta for a while and they were fine together. The only problem I had was my betta eating my cory's food. But the cories won't bother your betta and your betta shouldn't have a problem with cories. My cory would sometimes swim straight into my betta and Mr. Betta just kinda ignored him. ;D It was so funny. I have also heard that tetras can be nippy so I would just watch them closely. Shrimp usually do well with bettas too. I've heard of small loaches being put in with bettas. I would assume Ottos would do alright. They don't seem to be agressive. (I just got some a few days ago)

Hope this helped. :)

There are many types of loaches, but botia and clown loaches so not go well with bettas! For some reason botia loaches and (cant remember scientific category) clown loaches like long flowing fins. Just a little tip! :)

I've had a Betta with neon tetras in a 10 gallon. The set up lasted for about a day. I don't know what happened but small active fish must play a huge stress factor when it comes to Bettas. All in all, it was my mistake. I would avoid active schooling fish as they also raise ammonia. Get ghost shrimp and Pygmy cories and a mystery snail.

Sean

Any fish produces ammonia.

Rather than neons, I would suggest a smaller species like the ember tetra (Hyphessobrycon amandae). They're very peaceful and won't nip the betta's fins, they max out at about one inch, and although they don't look like much in a pet store, they will color up to a bright reddish orange as they settle in.

severum mama said:
Any fish produces ammonia.

Rather than neons, I would suggest a smaller species like the ember tetra (Hyphessobrycon amandae). They're very peaceful and won't nip the betta's fins, they max out at about one inch, and although they don't look like much in a pet store, they will color up to a bright reddish orange as they settle in.

Ember tetras are great little fish. Less active than neons which makes them better for little tanks. Otos and Pygmy Cories could make good tank mates for them .

I'm wanting to move my one, Jeb (a sweet little red crowntail) into a 10 gallon set-up. My question is, with this bigger set-up, what friends could I add?

In a 10 gallon tank, you should only consider pygmy corys, not the larger corys. I personally don't believe in keeping bettas with tankmates as they seem to enjoy being a solitary fish. I've heard more horror stories about problems with bettas and tankmates than any other species.

Whether it works or not always depends on the personality of the specific betta in question. Even though he seems mild mannered now, he may become aggressive around other species. Also, keep in mind that as bettas mature, their personality changes.

I wouldn't try other fish in a 10 gallon, but perhaps, as I mentioned, pygmy corys or snails, although I do like severum mamas suggestion of ember tetras. I adore my embers. They're extremely peaceful.

Back
Top Bottom