Power Out

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Betta Platy Addict

Aquarium Advice Freak
Our security company called to say our power was out and security system is running on battery (horrible storm). Called power company and power won't be restored until tomorrow night some time.

How long until the fish die???? I have a 20g with platies, neons and Cory cats.

Freaking out :(

Take the filter media out of the filter (unless its an internal filter) and place it in the tank to keep the BB alive. The fish should be fine unless it gets too cold.

I'm out of town which is why I'm freaking out. It's a hob filter :(

I tried to have the woman who is feeding them go in but the garage door obviously won't work and she doesn't have a key.

So my bb will die???? Ugggghhhhhhh.
I give up. I'm obviously not meant to have fish. At least my betta in his own tank will be ok.

Don't worry...

I'm sure they can take up to 10 degrees below their normal temperature for 1 day or so. Fish can go without food for quite some time, and don't worry about filter. When power is back, immediately 100% clean tank. They shouldn't die. And things happen, doesn't mean your a bad fish keeper. You just happened to leave town, which everyone does sometimes, and had bad luck. Bad things happen to good people. :cool:
By the way, that woman can get a neighbor to help her lift up the garage door, my dad lifts mine a lot.

Bacteria aren't nearly as quick to dying as people think they are. They are almost 100% immune to below freezing temperatures, They don't start dying en masse until the temperature goes above 110 degrees. Even if the filter goes bone dry a good portion of them will survive. There will be enough residual water in the filter to keep things living. I would be more worried about the filter motor burning out when the power comes back on.

We won't be going home until July 7th or so. I did a huge water change the day before I left so that they would be ok for two weeks while we are gone.

I think the power is back on, so I will ask the lady feeding them to just make sure the fish and filter are ok. Had nightmares about them all night :(

I'm sorry! I had a power outage a couple weeks ago and even though it was only for 3 hours, I was FREAKING OUT! I wish I could help you! If I could I'd jump through a window and help your fish :( I understand the frustration. Just hang in there! They should be fine. Treat them to a special shelled peas treat when you get home :) good luck!

Thanks for everyone's support. The only losses were the few 1-2 week old platy fry, so at least all of my adult fish made it!

Idk if anyone has done this but I work at Costco and we sell these decent sized backup batteries mainly for computer setups but I'm sure it would be a good temporary solution for a power outage as well. I think it's like 100-150 or so, not a bad investment.

Back
Top Bottom