Power out

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Trainer_Ruby_

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ok so first power outage in two years. Tanks are covered and all but two have plants. It's been awhile so what all do I need to do? I'm not sure how long it'll be out but it's now 9:55pm and the house should stay warm enough the tank heat shouldn't be a problem

Keep calm and drum on

if you have any bio media take it out of the filter and put it into the main tank until the power comes on. Give the tank a dose of prime if you're worried about ammonia build up.

Alright bags are in the water and I circulated the water for about 5 min per tank. The temp has dropped a little less than one degree in the tanks but are still well within living conditions for the fish

Keep calm and drum on

Alright bags are in the water and I circulated the water for about 5 min per tank. The temp has dropped a little less than one degree in the tanks but are still well within living conditions for the fish

Keep calm and drum on

Since the temp drop is slow, that won't bother your fish (Within reason of course!) If your tanks are fully or over stocked your fish are more likely to suffer from ammonia toxicity or oxygen depletion then issues with the temperature

Since the temp drop is slow, that won't bother your fish (Within reason of course!) If your tanks are fully or over stocked your fish are more likely to suffer from ammonia toxicity or oxygen depletion then issues with the temperature

Luckily the tanks aren't too stocked at the moment. The heaviest stocked one I have is a 25 with 5 rasbora a betta and a gourami. I think the only fish that would have an ammonia problem would be my mollies and there's 3 of them in a 55g so it shouldn't be a problem. Fortunately l cleaned all the tanks so ammonia nitrates and nitrites are all at 0

Keep calm and drum on

I hardly have power outages either but I love my battery powered air pumps. Totally worth the $15 to keep the surface agitated. I hope your power comes back on soon. It sounds like your in good shape (knock on wood).

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Currently 1:50 the house is starting to drop in temp but the tanks remain around the same temp according to aep it shouldn't take them too much longer to get the power back hopefully they're right…

Keep calm and drum on

Glad to hear things are up in running. I'm an advocate of under stocking because it allows for less stress when situations like these arise.
I've heard of folks putting blankets and sleeping bags around their tanks to retain heat during outages such as this.

Glad to hear things are up in running. I'm an advocate of under stocking because it allows for less stress when situations like these arise.
I've heard of folks putting blankets and sleeping bags around their tanks to retain heat during outages such as this.

I agree with you there. If I would of been more stocked I could see a lot more problems arising. I personally keep about 3 bed comforters set to the side just for the tanks.

Keep calm and drum on

I purchased a UPS just for this scenario. It will run my filtration and all lights on my BC29 for a bit over 2 hours in a power outtage but that increases to over 4 if all lights except blue LED are off. Glad everything worked out for you.

3 hours power outage is no problem unless the temp drops drastically.
From my experience, I've had fully and overstocked tanks in power outages, up to three days on one occasion (super storm Sandy) with no issues.
On a long power outage just don't feed and keep an eye on the temp, also make sure the filter media stays wet.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I purchased a UPS just for this scenario.
I believe this is the best answer for people with aquariums in areas with unreliable electric utilities. It's just a question of how valuable your tank(s) are to you and how much you are willing to spend to mitigate the risk.

>$ = Longer Run Time

Yeah, generator for the REALLY well-prepared. I've got one of those as well, for longer term outages. Fortunately the longest outage we've ever had here was only a little over a day about 10 years ago. After that it's been pretty reliable, with just episodes of minutes to maybe a couple hours at most since then, once or twice a year.

I have been without power and learned my lesson to be prepared , I am not so much a "doomsday prepper " but certainly ready if I had to be.
We don't loose it often either but there is that what if scenario , we had Superstorm Sandy and was glad I had my ducks in a row for that one.

Back
Top Bottom