power out, how low can fish go?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dragon14

Aquarium Advice Addict
Our power is out at the moment, and we are worried about our fish.

A friend suggested wrapping the tanks in towels/blankets to help slow heat loss.

We have 11 pygmy catfish, 2 amano shrimp, 2 guppy fry in a 10g tank, and in a 5g tank we have 1 female betta fish.

How low can they go with no ill effect? where we have them can get down to 64 the last week or so. :( I know water can take a while to cool down, but, if the power isn't back for a while :(

We have a generator but cannot run it all night.

Currently the 10g is down to 70 degrees so the generator is going on for a bit.

Do you have an air stone running in the tanks right now?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

We do have a bubbler but don't have it running on a battery. I totally forgot about the filter. It is cycled, but due for a water change very soon, its been about 2 weeks.

If you can get the bubbler running and the filter media in tank water you should be fine. I would also cut back on feedings because your fish will produce less waste.

If you have a sponge filter that would be even better than the bubbler alone because it provides some biological and mechanical filtration.

Running an extension cord from the generator to the filter would probably be better though so there is no risk of killing the BB.

The fish should be ok with cooler temps because it will be a slow change. Once you get power back make sure you raise the temp slowly though.

We do have a bubbler but don't have it running on a battery. I totally forgot about the filter. It is cycled, but due for a water change very soon, its been about 2 weeks.

Mix ice melt/deicer and water in a water bottle, the ice melt reacts with the water to generate heat. Float the bottle after rinsing well.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

If you can run your filter during the day and a battery powered bubbler at night you should be fine with oxygen. Maybe plug the heater in for a couple of hours during the day to keep the temperature from dropping to low.

Thanks! :) thankfully the power came back on soon after (we thought it wouldn't be on for hours).

This is good information to have for next time though... :)

How easy it is to get something battery powered for the bubbler?

Thanks! :) thankfully the power came back on soon after (we thought it wouldn't be on for hours).

This is good information to have for next time though... :)

How easy it is to get something battery powered for the bubbler?

Any sporting goods store has them for minnow buckets

For my fishing minnows I use a small submersible pump that pumps the water to a spray bar. Powered directly from a car battery. The pump has a sponge on it to filter the water a bit too

I haven't done it for the fish, but for work I have. There was a thread on here a while back where someone was doing it for their tank, in Maine. They sized their inverter to be able to run everything, especially the heater!

_________
Yelling into the tin can from the far end of the string

I haven't done it for the fish, but for work I have. There was a thread on here a while back where someone was doing it for their tank, in Maine. They sized their inverter to be able to run everything, especially the heater!

_________
Yelling into the tin can from the far end of the string

if you go this route leave the battery out side or in a garage and run the wires for the inverter through a door or window just to be safe. and use a deep cycle marine battery not a car battery.

Back
Top Bottom