Power Outage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I was thinking about that right after I posted that question. The AC wont be running obviously so the tanks should be ok. My fish have been through alot and are still kickin, so im sure they'll be ok. Ill just make bubble and stir the tanks every so often for them. We've rarely had out power go out, but in this storm you never know!
Good luck everyone!

A car battery with an inverter is prob the best way to power equipment (other than a generator). You can buy a power box with the inverter built in, and run an air pump as your "stirrer" for days. Otherwise a battery powered airpump with a supply of battery is next best .... or stay up all night stirring the tank manually.

Of course it is too late to go get stuff now the storm is going to hit within a day .... If your car battery is fully charged, and you are handy, you can borrow your car battery for the tanks. <Or run an extension to your car power outlet with an inverter.> But make sure you have a charger to charge the battery back up after so you can start the car .... and make sure you don't need to use your car to evacuate, etc before you do this.

Doing a pwc before the water goes is good idea. Also, save up extra water for emergencies (you & the tanks ....).

Oh... I dont think this is going to be good, ill have to stay up all night agitating my tank..... :( i really need a generator but they are all sold out.

Hurricane Irene just got downgraded to a category 1 hurricane and is still weakening, so you should be alright THIS TIME.

according to the NHC irene is still a powerful CAT 2...

With any filter media (especially canisters) sticking the media in the aquarium is the way to go. You can also take it out occasionally to give it a good dose of O2. If you're lucky enough to have water that doesn't depend upon electricity doing some water changes will do a lot for a tank that's just sitting there with no surface agitation. Heat would be the LAST thing I'd worry about, O2 and keeping your media alive are the biggies.

Back
Top Bottom