Power outage!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cntrygirl

Aquarium Advice Regular
So power isn't supposed to be restored for a good 24 hours. Which means my tanks have no air and no filter. What do I do?!?! I have a 10 gallon with tetras, 2 guppies, and a pair of black mollies and the molly is pregnant. Then I have a 39 Gallon with 7 goldfish. That desperately need a bigger home I know! Will they be ok? I have extra air hose I've been blowing air into but I really don't want to do it for another 24 hours!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

If there's a store nearby you can get a battery powered air pump for cheap.

Other than that only option would be many water changes and keeping a blanket over top to retain as much heat as possible.

29g Community

10g Betta

You don't need to necessarily blow air in through the hose. Stirring the water periodically should allow for enough gas exchange to keep the water oxygenated.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

You need to get that filter out of there, unplug it for sure. Your BB is going to die and will become toxic if it goes back into the tank. I don't know a ton about it. But I know that.

36g semi-aggressive
20g community
5.5g betta/ghost shrimp
3g betta
2g fry

You need to get that filter out of there, unplug it for sure. Your BB is going to die and will become toxic if it goes back into the tank. I don't know a ton about it. But I know that.
/QUOTE]

I've never heard of BB becoming toxic. Can you elaborate?

I unplugged the power strip for the 2 tanks that way there's no issues for them. Power should actually be back on sometime today now.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

When the bacteria dies it'll convert to ammonia. No live BB = no processing to trates or trites.

However I don't think the bb will die within even a 24 hour time span by any means

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I recently went 4 days with no power i ran cups of water through my filters every half hours or so to gelp keep the bacteria going then i got frustrated went to wal mart bought a power inverter and ran an extention cord from my car to my filters

Down comforter for hear, and either battery powered air pump or stir it every hour or so, the BB will be fine lol

Sent from my SM-G900P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Several years ago, my parents power went out, along with a lot of other people in milford, ohio, for like 5 days, i lost 3 out of 16 fish in my 38g, and after power returned, my tests continued to show 0 ammonia and 0 nitrites, no problem from then on

Down comforter for hear, and either battery powered air pump or stir it every hour or so, the BB will be fine lol

+1 if you plug the filter back in make sure it doesn't start dry as that could be bad for the impeller

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Agreed, make sure everything is off or unplugged when power does return. Also make sure any air pumps have a check valve, dont want water making its way to pump

Back
Top Bottom