Powerhead/Circulation Pump for bottom debris?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

StevesPrettyCool

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 55g freshwater tank
I recently bought a powerhead in hopes to help move the debris (poo) towards the filter, but made a rookie mistake and got a powerhead thats way too powerful (350gph)

Is it common to use powerheads or circulation pumps for this type of problem? even if i can just use a few very low powered ones to stick on the back to blow the stuff forward so its easier to vacuum that would be great.

If this is common, what one would be better, Powerhead or circ. pumps? Also what would you think would be a good GPH to get the poo moving and not the sand?

Your powerhead is not too strong. Just put it in and turn it on. All the debris will eventually go to your filter, except if it gets caught in your decor.

I have a powerhead in my 15g to help my filter pick up waste. It does a wonderful job, but a lot of waste gets stuck in my decor. When I lift up my decor, all kinds of crap comes out. And I do 50% pwc weekly...

Hey terrance thanks for the reply. I had it in earlier but it was blowing my fish around like crazy so I took it out. I already have a 500gph canister filter, but just need something small to push around the debris on the bottom. The 500 and 350 together were way too much power, so I was wondering about something lower powered.

Try putting the powerhead at the top back of the tank and aim it at the other back end of the tank (from left to right). Your fish will learn to avoid the strong current.

Back
Top Bottom