Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-12-2017, 06:19 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

powerhead for a common goldfish?

1 common goldfish
55 gallon tank
AquaClear110 + Aqueon QuietFlow10 (the small filter from his old tank)

Found that his temperatures were always low... never in the 70's, always in the 60's.
I've added a heater to keep him in the low 70's.
(ViaAqua Quartz Heater, 300W - recommended for 80 gal tanks)

HOWEVER, he's never had air stones or bubblers of any sort.
But he also never goes to the surface to gasp for air, so I've never been too concerned....
But now that his temperature is going up, I worry he'll have less dissolved oxygen.

I'm not fond of bubblers, and I hear that a powerhead is MUCH more efficient anyway!!!
But... I wonder if he will be okay with the current? I'd put it near the surface, so maybe he'd be fine?
Besides, a powerhead would help to distribute the warmed water.

Will the current caused by a powerhead make my common goldfish uncomfortable, and sufficiently add oxygen to the tank?

Input would be appreciated!
-Trixie

Old 07-12-2017, 06:43 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Tank of the Month Award

The heater really is not necessary. Temps in the 60s is fine. At this point I would keep it in the low 70s.
As for the current, observe the fish's behavior. If it appears to be pushed around, then redirect the flow along the top or towards a wall or corner.

Tags
common, fish, gold, goldfish, powerhead

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com