Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-10-2005, 10:50 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Powerhead for loaches

I'm starting to see some nitrates in my 75 gallon tank, so I am hopeful that my fishless cycle is near complete! As such, I was looking to start setting decorations and other equipment. I was interested in keeping a group of one of the smaller loaches and as I understand they like to have something of a current in the tank. How big of a powerhead should I get to provide that? Do I need more than one? Should it be placed toward the bottom of the tank?
Thanks in advance.

Old 06-10-2005, 10:59 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

What type of filtration do you have? If this is a decision also regarding filtration atleast 150gal per hour. I have 5 clownies (great fish) And they are perfectly happy under these conditions.

Old 06-10-2005, 11:29 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Fluval 404.
Old 06-10-2005, 11:35 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

If it does your tank atleast twice an hour, I reckon it will be ok. There would have to be parts of the tank that have a current strong enough for them to get their fix, even if its only around the in and outlets. IMO
Old 06-10-2005, 01:29 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

An aquascaping and theme idea I want to implement one day: how about creating a fast flowing river in part of your tank using Martin Thoene's ideas and a couple powerheads, using some decor or plants to break up the current before and after that area, then having the rest of the tank as a standard aquarium, recreating a decent but slower flow as would be expected in parts of a creek or river? I only have a small river tank and kuhliis and a hillstream, but can say my loaches love the current.

wet.biggiantnerds.com
czcz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
loach, loaches, powerhead

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com