Praecox Rainbowfish Pictures!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

madasafish

Aquarium Advice Addict
As promised, here are my Rainbowfish pictures. Some *really* cool pictures here if you have even remote interest in mating behavior...

First: some pictures of the fish themselves. The best pictures I could take (and it tooks half an hour to get these pics!).

Second: A picture of a male Praecox flaring at the other males. Note that the dorsal (small fin at the middle of the back), adipose (large fin behind small dorsal), pelvic (ventral fin in middle) and anal (behind pelvic fin) fins all flare simultaneously. This gives the male fish a completely different body shape--rather than being streamlined and slightly odd, they are magnificent and threatening. The mouth also opens completely, allowing the premaxilla and maxilla to extend outwards, creating the tube used by many Teleost (most advanced) fish for suction feeding.

Third: Truly stunning to me. These males were competing so furiously for the females that they started to display mating colors. And these are still Juveniles!!! They're only an inch long. The males (have a more red tail than the females) first developed a green sheen on their sides, then came out with a highly unusual yellow streak all down their head from their dorsal fin to their mouth. This color shocked me, as I've never seen a completely unrelated color appear on a fish. This appearance can be likened to the bright purple mating female Kribensis show, but is much more shocking, as Praecox have no other yellow on their bodies.

You be the judges... I think these fish are quite extraordinary.

Alright, pictures in the next three posts...

1st: Praecox males swimming contentedly

Not Hump-head on 1st Male. This is a sign of a more mature fish. They eventually all develop quite pronounced humps, as do many Rainbowfish species.

2nd: Male flaring fins.

Sorry that the pic's a bit dark. I hope you can make out the tubular mouth and spread fins.

3rd: Males with mating coloration.

Sorry that the pics are a bit blurred. These guys were going crazy.

Ok, that's it for now. Sorry I can't figure out how to cut the images so you can see more fish and less background! Also, don't quite know why the first 3 images are showing up as files and the last 2 as thumbnails. Maybe it's just this computer!

When you click on the images, make sure to expand them (at bottom right-hand corner) so you can see the picture slightly larger.

Oh, and :oops: now you can see how bad my algae problem was getting last week!

Enjoy!

madasafish said:
3rd: Males with mating coloration.

Sorry that the pics are a bit blurred. These guys were going crazy.

Ooo, awesome coloring!

I don't understand the whole file/thumbnail thing at all. Try using irfanview to crop photos. It's a small file and very easy to use. I disable the Windows image resize option so that I can always see pics at full scale :)

Thanks, Jon! Those are great. Can I ask what kind of setup they're in and with what other fish?

Fish fight fish fight!!

*giggles* Lemme get the popcorn; I love a good fish fight. Specially when it causes them to display those lovely mating colors - love the yellow streaks!

They're in my fully planted 55, Holly.

Fish are: a few danios, HATL tetras, Neons, 1 L-142 Snowball Pleco, 1 L-200 Queen Arabesque, 2 kribs, a few ghost shrimp, 2 kuhli loaches.

Plant system: pressurized 20 lb CO2 tank, 240 watts of light, dosing Seachem iron, potassium, trace 1-2X per week. Fluorite and black gravel substrate.

Plants include: Cabomba, Mayaca Fluviatilis, Amazon Swords, Narrow Chain-Link Swords, Dwarf Sags, Ludwigia repens; Giant Hygro, Sunset Hygro and regular Hygrophila polysperma; Egeria najas, Chinese Water Cress, Bacopa caroliniana, Rotala indica, Hemianthus micranthemoides, Nymphea spp. (5 Tiger lotus bulbs, with different-colored leaves from speckled green to dark yellow to red). Some others I can't remember the name of!

Decorations: 3 pieces of driftwood.

Oh, and I do use Irfan! That's why those images weren't 2' X 1.6'. But I haven't figured out the crop feature yet--I'll crop (leaving small selection) and then it'll still display the image as if the cut material is still part of the whole image. PM me to explain?

Awesome pics and fish Jon. I'm super impressed with quality of those first ones. 8)

Oh blush, blush. Thanx, guys. Took AGES to take those pics. I had to manual focus each one, so I was constantly shimmying the lenses back and forth to get the right focus, and this was not easy.

Glad you like them!

Very, very nice! I hope everyone who is considering rainbows will see this thread and get the idea - these are not necessarily the drab silver individuals often seen at the LFS. Bring 'em home, care and attention, voila!

Very cool! I really like the one with the yellow stripe! I bet he gets picked as the 'lucky fish' haha.

Hey madasafish how many and what kind of Rainbows do you have in your tank? I am totally sold on these guys and in a few months I hope to get a few.

uh oh I'm a fish freek!

Back
Top Bottom