Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-01-2011, 03:09 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Preacox Rainbow?

Also known as Neon Dwarf Rainbow.

Is this a schooling fish? I'm looking at a pair right now and want to buy them.

Old 12-01-2011, 03:13 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I may be wrong, but here goes.

I've heard that they must be kept in groups of no fewer than 5, and of those 5, you should not mix sexes. Above 5 gets very particular with regard to ratio of males to females. They are also not advised for beginners (if that's what you are).

75: blood parrots, featherfin cat, emperor tetras, turquoise rainbowfish, BN plecos, japanese trapdoor; 46: WCMM, gold inca snails, ghost, bamboo & amano shrimp, kuhli loaches, rummynose & ember tetras, endlers, platies, flame gourami, guppies; 16: pygmy, peppered, loxozonus corys, otos, assassins, RCS ... ~ Research PRIOR to purchase.... ~
LyndaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 03:16 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

A pair as in male and female or two unsexed fish? What size tank are these going in, what are the other inhabitants?

I've never kept them but from what I've read you should aim for 5-7 of these in a tank. If at all possible, keep some type of male to female ratio. Ideally it seems like everyone recommended 1m:3-4f.

There's plenty of good information on google about these guys.
Old 12-01-2011, 03:18 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I think severum mama sells them so she'd probably have a good deal of info, too.
75: blood parrots, featherfin cat, emperor tetras, turquoise rainbowfish, BN plecos, japanese trapdoor; 46: WCMM, gold inca snails, ghost, bamboo & amano shrimp, kuhli loaches, rummynose & ember tetras, endlers, platies, flame gourami, guppies; 16: pygmy, peppered, loxozonus corys, otos, assassins, RCS ... ~ Research PRIOR to purchase.... ~
Old 12-01-2011, 03:18 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Poo. Really pretty fish too. I guess I'll pass as I don't have the room in my tank for five. They are unsexed.

37 gallons with
6 bloodfin tetras
8 danios
5 cories
1 guppy
Old 12-01-2011, 03:20 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Kudos for doing the research PRIOR to purchase. I highly approve!
Old 12-01-2011, 03:21 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyndaB
Kudos for doing the research PRIOR to purchase. I highly approve!
Hehe. A penny saved is one less dead fish.
Old 12-01-2011, 04:27 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by blert View Post
Poo. Really pretty fish too. I guess I'll pass as I don't have the room in my tank for five. They are unsexed.

37 gallons with
6 bloodfin tetras
8 danios
5 cories
1 guppy
I'd do it, but that is JMO. I haven't kept M praecox in any of my personal tanks but I do have experience with them to an extent from the shop I used to work at. My experience is that they are active, but not aggressive.

If you are interested in something smaller that is still very colorful, you could look into Pseudomugil furcatus or Iriatherina werneri (threadfin).
severum mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 04:53 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

Todnbecka keeps them I'm fairly sure. I think the gender ratio is m 5:2 f or something like that.
Mumma.of.two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 05:18 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by severum mama

I'd do it, but that is JMO. I haven't kept M praecox in any of my personal tanks but I do have experience with them to an extent from the shop I used to work at. My experience is that they are active, but not aggressive.

If you are interested in something smaller that is still very colorful, you could look into Pseudomugil furcatus or Iriatherina werneri (threadfin).
Well, I did it. 8O
I bought both of them. I have a buddy who has nine of these in a huge tank. He said they should be fine but if I have any problems he has room and will take them off my hands. He always has stuff to trade and I could use a new power head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumma.of.two
Todnbecka keeps them I'm fairly sure. I think the gender ratio is m 5:2 f or something like that.
Five males to two females. Sounds a little off, sorry. I'd figure the typical 1:3 so the females don't get too much affection if ya know what I mean.

Also bought two more cories. One panda and one skunk.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com