Preacox Rainbow?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blert

Aquarium Advice Addict
Also known as Neon Dwarf Rainbow.

Is this a schooling fish? I'm looking at a pair right now and want to buy them.

I may be wrong, but here goes.

I've heard that they must be kept in groups of no fewer than 5, and of those 5, you should not mix sexes. Above 5 gets very particular with regard to ratio of males to females. They are also not advised for beginners (if that's what you are). ;)

A pair as in male and female or two unsexed fish? What size tank are these going in, what are the other inhabitants?

I've never kept them but from what I've read you should aim for 5-7 of these in a tank. If at all possible, keep some type of male to female ratio. Ideally it seems like everyone recommended 1m:3-4f.

There's plenty of good information on google about these guys.

I think severum mama sells them so she'd probably have a good deal of info, too. (y)

Poo. Really pretty fish too. I guess I'll pass as I don't have the room in my tank for five. :( They are unsexed.

37 gallons with
6 bloodfin tetras
8 danios
5 cories
1 guppy

Poo. Really pretty fish too. I guess I'll pass as I don't have the room in my tank for five. :( They are unsexed.

37 gallons with
6 bloodfin tetras
8 danios
5 cories
1 guppy

I'd do it, but that is JMO. I haven't kept M praecox in any of my personal tanks but I do have experience with them to an extent from the shop I used to work at. My experience is that they are active, but not aggressive.

If you are interested in something smaller that is still very colorful, you could look into Pseudomugil furcatus or Iriatherina werneri (threadfin).

severum mama said:
I'd do it, but that is JMO. I haven't kept M praecox in any of my personal tanks but I do have experience with them to an extent from the shop I used to work at. My experience is that they are active, but not aggressive.

If you are interested in something smaller that is still very colorful, you could look into Pseudomugil furcatus or Iriatherina werneri (threadfin).

Well, I did it. 8O
I bought both of them. I have a buddy who has nine of these in a huge tank. He said they should be fine but if I have any problems he has room and will take them off my hands. He always has stuff to trade and I could use a new power head.

Mumma.of.two said:
Todnbecka keeps them I'm fairly sure. I think the gender ratio is m 5:2 f or something like that.
Five males to two females. Sounds a little off, sorry. I'd figure the typical 1:3 so the females don't get too much affection if ya know what I mean.

Also bought two more cories. One panda and one skunk.

blert said:
Well, I did it. 8O
I bought both of them. I have a buddy who has nine of these in a huge tank. He said they should be fine but if I have any problems he has room and will take them off my hands. He always has stuff to trade and I could use a new power head.

Five males to two females. Sounds a little off, sorry. I'd figure the typical 1:3 so the females don't get too much affection if ya know what I mean.

Also bought two more cories. One panda and one skunk.

I know it sounds odd but I assure you they need more males than females.

Mumma.of.two said:
I know it sounds odd but I assure you they need more males than females.

Busy ladies, the little trollops. I may try and convince my buddy to give me three of his if I can't find three more. Yeah, that would overstock my tank a bit but I do two PWCs a week anyway as that was what my Rams required before the whole substrate change incident.

Rainbowfish.info • View topic - Questions about Praecox Rainbows - been breeding at 1m:3f

Rainbowfish.info • View topic - Proper sex ratio - Melanotaenia praecox - notices females getting harassed by males, recommends lower # of males

Melanotaenia Praecox, the Dwarf Neon Rainbowfish Profile, with care, maintenance requirements and breeding information for your tropical fish - been breeding regularly - 2 or more females per male.

I found the page you linked but that was the only one that recommend more males.

Thanks for the links. I did find all those last night and more. Largest consensus is ~1:3 so that's what I will shoot for.

Personally, I think they should be kept in a 4' tank or bigger. I've got some. I've got a big mix of rainbows, and only have 4 pairs. The rest are unsexed. There are about 30 total. They like a current, and they like to swim.

Back
Top Bottom