Predator Fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FreshwaterTropical

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Re there any large size predator fish, that will be fine with plants???

Or any large size fish that can be kept in a 40 gallon tank?

Thank you,

I kind of really like Ctenolucius Hujeta now and am wondering where I can get one or are they best kept in groups?

HUKIT said:
They are best kept as a solitary fish in that sized tank.

Ok what about other fish like a peacock eel, clown plecos, and a gold gourami. That I have in my tank currently?

I've seen 7-8" Ctenolucius's maul and kill 3-4" goldfish, so tankmates gets tricky. The size of tank will be the limiting factor, tankmates must be larger and in some cases that doesn't even matter.

Yeah maybe just the plecos and the eel because they are on the bottom and the Ctenolucius Hujeta is mid to top level.

Does anybody know we're I can get one?

I recommend a grass or redfin pickerel. You could even do 2 in a species tank if you make sure they don't ever have a size disparity large enough to eat one another.

I don't know how they'd work long term in a community setting, but it could work if you did it right.

The Hujeta gar seem to be hard to find?

I've seen them at local pet stores. Ask your LFS to order some, start with 2-3 and monitor their interactions closely. I have a friend that keeps them as species only tank, sometime they attack each other but more often they don't. In the wild they wait in small schools in slack water waiting for prey.

Archer fish are pretty cool to watch however het pretty big so you'd need to upgrade
They are also brackish fish

Back
Top Bottom