Predator fish!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Loading... said:
If the eel is big enough and you start with a small Oscar they should be fine together I did that and my Oscar lives with a rainbow shark now0-•

Awesome. Thanks. These are my cichlids. I think they're small.. Lol.

Attachments

• image-1212010513.jpg
    image-1212010513.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 88
Loading... said:
Looks great! Where did you get the rocks?Caves would help Btw...

Thank you! I'm working on providing some better hiding places. A community member I met on Craigslist just gave the rock to me. It was a pretty good deal. :)

Blue ram cichlid, ropefish, and I know that they aren't legal but candiru asu are my absolute favorite small schooling predators. They aren't truly predatory, but they will find an opening in dead things and completely fill the corpse up (think hundreds, thousands of them) and devour it from the inside out. There is a brazilian (I think) news clip of a dead human being pulled to shore and thousands of these fish spill out and push out of the body and squirm back to the water..... it's so grotesque it's fascinating

So an Oscar might be my best option, just to clear things up live guppies or pellets? My LFS sells guppy feeders(and it's not Petsmart or petco) and I would have them quarantined. What is the best option for the fish?

I say get yourself a 10g tank and a breeding pair of guppies and use the same water in both tanks, that is if you plan on giving feeder fish. When I had my oscar I mainly stuck with hikari cichlid staple as their primary food and would give them frozen super carnivore food every couple of weeks.

FreshwaterTropical said:
So an Oscar might be my best option, just to clear things up live guppies or pellets? My LFS sells guppy feeders(and it's not Petsmart or petco) and I would have them quarantined. What is the best option for the fish?

IMO a good pellet is better. They will get better nutrition from pellets. Feeders are ok occasionally as long as you make sure they aren't carrying disease, but I wouldn't use live feeders as main staple. That being said there are other live foods available like blood worms and things like that, that could work but have never given my cichlids live food and they are all happy and healthy. If you go with a pellet I would recommend new life spectrum. Might be little more pricey depending on where you get it but I think it's well worth the extra 3 dollars to get good food that I know works great. I've used other pellets before and I haven't found anything that's comparable.

Unless yer raisin' yer own, I'd advise against feeder fish. Feeders sold in pet stores have the potential for carrying diseases and parasites.

A 40 gallon tank is too small for an oscar as a permanent home. If ya have a larger tank then it would be okay as a grow out tank, but the average oscar is gonna hit a foot long and you'll end up with skeletal deformities and subsequent internal deformities by keepin' him in there forever. A 40 just doesn't offer enough space to move around.

As for peacock bass, all species are fast-swimming predators and almost all should get 2'+. Very, very few home aquariums are appropriate for 'em.

Ya need to look at smaller species for that tank. African butterfly fish are actually quite predatory on small fish. Look at some of the smaller cichlids, badis and even gobies. You'll end up feeding small guppies and shrimp, but your fish will be happier and won't be cramped.

WYite

FreshwaterTropical said:

Yes and feeders help alot but are not main source

My friend used to have what he called a needle fish, he fed it feeder fish? Is there another name for this fish/predator? I think he said he got it from Petsmart?

FreshwaterTropical said:
My friend used to have what he called a needle fish, he fed it feeder fish? Is there another name for this fish/predator? I think he said he got it from Petsmart?

Xenentodon cancila. They get pretty big so these wouldn't really be an option unless you have a large aquarium to house them.

Back
Top Bottom